Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Temping Query - I'm confused

Hi ladies,

I started temping this month and am a bit confused about the ovulation spike. I take my temperature every morning between 5:50 am and 7:00 am. My temperatures have been hovering around 36.01 / 36.02 celsius for a week and they dropped to 35.95 on Saturday with a further drop to 35.90 on Sunday morning. My temperature went up to 36.22 this morning - does it mean that I'm ovulating or ovulated yesterday? 

I got a solid smiley yesterday and the e-bay cheepie tests also came up with 2 lines yesterday afternoon. 

I read on the net this morning that my temp should be at least 36.30 when ovulating and 36.10 before ovulation. My temp were a lot lower before ovulation (35.90) so I assumed that a spike to 36.22 meant ovulation.

God this is confusing ha ha

Anyway, we did BD on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday (twice) so hopefully we'll catch the egg this month image if it is still there of course . . . 

I would appreciate some feedback ladies,I feel like I'm going a bit loopy from all this ha ha

xxx

Replies

• Hi,

I would recommend using fertility friend - the basic charting is free which is great and it will take the guess work out for you.image

From what you say I think you have ovulated.  The day of ovulation is the day BEFORE the spike in temp, so that would be yesterday.

I think the rise in temperature is not a fixed amount but it is significant for your pattern.  Somewhere between 0.25 and 0.5 Degrees celcius is about usual.

Also I find my temperatures vary quite a bit between taking them within 30 minutes so I religiously now take mine at 6am.  You could see if a fixed time gives an easier to read chart?

Hope some of that helps!

• I second the Fertility Friend thing - I would never have known I even ovulated last month if it wasn't for that because my temperature went up in steps rather than a big leap image  

I would say about the 'expected temperature for ov' that you read - ignore it! As TulipRose says above, it's more the difference betwee YOUR regular temperature and your post-ov temps.

I always take mine at 6:30am - I've found when I take it even just half an hour later, the difference is enough to not be reliable. I don't always get up at 6:30, I just set my alarm, stick the thermometer in my mouth, wait until it bleeps, take it out, then go back to sleep image The one I use stores the last temperature taken, so I don't eve need it write it down until I drag my sorry ass out of bed when I can be bothered image 

Hope it works out for you! xxx

• Hi TulipRose,

Thanks for your response.

I started using fertilityfriend at the beginning of my current cycle, but it keeps saying that ovulation has not been detected yet. Not sure if FF would try to compare my curret cycle to my old cycles and estimate ovulation in that way. This is my only cycle on there so wil have to wait and see. Let's hope my temperature stays elevated from now on.

I will take mine at 7:00 am from now on and see how it goes. 

I do think that I ovulated yesterday because I got two positive ov tests in the afternoon and also had really bad cramps last night - I had to curl up in bed, they were so bad image

We did BD every night since Thursday and will BD again tonight (just in case) and we made sure that there was an endless supply of little swimmers, providing they survived. Let's hope they were stong enough to 'attack' the egg ha ha

How are you? Are you nearing ovulation as well?

xx

• Hi WooH,

Thanks very much. I used to take my temp at 5:50 cos I planned to get up at time to do some studying image - flipping work exams! Well I could not be bothered to get up early this morning so took my temperature at 6:45. I will try and do it at the same time every day from now on. Still learning image

How are you getting on? Are you in the 2ww yet?

xx

• It's a bit of nightmare at first, isn't it?  Like trying to spin plates - this time to wake up and temp, this time to pee on a stick, this time to pee on a different stick, this time to check cervix...etc etc etc. I think I'm getting used to it now; thermometer in gob, sleep for another few hours and sort the figures out later image I quite like the whole analysing thing though, especially as we're so new to the whole ttc thing that I don't feel a whole lot of pressure right now. Technically it's been since Feb, but only really got a proper cycle last time (starting 21st July) so finding the whole bodily changes fascinating. Enjoying going through everyone's journeys on here with them, too. It's so lovely to share in it image

I'm currently in the first 2ww by the looks of it - waiting to ovulate! My body is gearing up for it I think. Had a few sharpish pains in my left side today, as well as slightly more fertile cm and my new (eeeee exciting!!!) ClearBlue Monitor saying I'm highly fertile (but not peak yet, grr), so it's just a waiting game really image Normal opk tests are not registering anything, so just having to not get mental and pee on all the sticks in one go, haha!  Never thought it would be so much fun to pee on stuff.....I'm turning into my dog....image xxxxx

• Hi WooH,

Right, I took my temperature at the same time this morning and it was 36.14 so a little bit lower than yesterday's 36.22. I'm now panicing that I'm not ovulating properly as FF says that ovulation is confirmed by 3 temperature rises after the dip? I had some horrible cramps and stuff so I hope I ovulated properly and all the test were 'smiling' at me so fingers crossed.

I peed on 3 tests on Sunday ha ha. I used the new CB Dual indicators and they started showing a flashing smiley on Thursday last week. I looked at the instructions and it says - flashing smiley for 2 days and then solid smiley for 2 days. I tested on Sunday morning and was still getting a flashing smiley. I went on amazon and read the reviews and a lot of people said that once the flashing smiley appeared it never disappeared. So I got a new stick and dipped it in a cup of tap water - guess what? Got a flashing smiley again? Faulty tester I think image Luckily I had one last test of the old style CB digitals in my cupboard and tried that in the afternoon. I got a solid smiley image - pure luck. Also got 2 lines on the cheep e-bay test image

Just thought I give you a little warning in respect of the dual hormone tests, they tend not to work after the first flashing smiley imageimage

I had some EWCM yesterday for the first time in my life - I was so excited Ha Ha. I poked it with my finger on the toilet tissue, told my partner cos I was mega excited and he was like - oh, that's disgusting ha ha

xx

• Oh. Perhaps you didn't ovulate yet then. I would rank temp as the number one indicator, then opk and then cm.

Fertility friend won't add an ovulation until three days post ov with those three high temps so don't worry. Just keep baby dancing!
  • Hey sweetjudy,

Just keep bd-ing - best to be more active than under-active, I guess!! What a pain about the ov tests - I read somewhere else on here that someone had to return theirs because they also got the flashing smiley in water! Luckily, I didn't get that type, it sounds like a nightmare! Make sure you get your money back! I bought the monitor where you pee on the stick, then put the stick in the computery thing, which reads it and stores your cycle info and helps figure out your peak times. A lot of girls don't get a peak the first month though while it figures you out.  Been comparing the lines of each test I've peed on over the last week, dead interesting! One is getting darker (from not being there at all) and one is getting lighter, which is what's supposed to happen apparently image Just still waiting for peak though now, as still was 'high' this morning. 

I thought I got a bit of ewcm yesterday but it didn't recur in the day, boo! Haven't peed at all today (other than on a stick first thing!) so haven't checked if I have today. That's the thing I'm waiting for now, because then FF will class me as being fertile...hate the waiting!  Hope you get more tomorrow and FF says you've ov'd - just keep bd-ing!! FC for you!! xx

• Hello ladies,

I'm sooo happy today - got a massive temperature shift this morning (up to 36.42) and FF confirmed that I ovulated on Sunday. I was in panic yesterday thinking I wasn't ovulating and thinking that my progesterone levels were too low, etc. What a relief! Let's hope the temperatures stay elevated for a while image

How are you both?

WooH,what make are the ov tests that you are using? It sounds like ovulation is approchaing chick image Fingers crossed and let's hope that you will catch that egg this month image

xxxx

• YEYEYEEYEEEY for ovulation! Woop! Very happy for you! FC temps stay up, up, up!! xx

I'm using CB monitor but the cheapy One-Step OPK ones. Never had a positive on them yet though, although last month I got a feint second line on one (although I realise this isn't classed as a positive). CB monitor is picking a hormone up, but One-Step ones never do; probably just my body messed up!  I'm getting a bit restless. Last month I ov'd for the first time on cd8, and my cycle was 20 days. Now I'm cd13 and ov still feels a long way off for some reason, and if I stick to another 20 day cycle, that means af is due in 1 week, I haven't ov'd yet which means my lp will be insanely short image    

I think I just want to know what my body's routine is - haven't managed to establish a cycle since Feb. I'm a little bitter towards the nurse at my surgery - went last Nov and asked if I should come off the pill a few months before we wanted to conceive to let my cycles regulate. She said no point because they would return with no problems. Ha! Ok then, love! I should've just come off then and maybe my cycles would be in some state of order that I could understand. Still, getting scans in a few weeks, then appt at fertility place so I'm going to try and not stress until after then image

• I hope the temps stay up now  imageimage

Tell me about the nurses and GPs .... Our local GPs and nurses are completely useless. When i was pregnant in Feb and went in to see a doc and told him that I was pregnant but didn't really know what the next steps were. And he was like: 'So you don't want the baby then?' And I was like, yes I do, I could not be happier, I just don't know what to do next in respect of mw appointments etc. Then I saw a midwife who failed to send the referral to the hospital, I had to chase them 3 times, ..... nightmare!

I do not think some of these nurses appreciate how long it actually takes for your cycles to go back to normal. 

My cycles got messed up by a missed mc in April, but seem to be settling now - at 35 days thou image

I've got my fingers crossed that your cycles sort themselves out. How long have you been ttc for ?

xx

• Oh god! It seems like they forget that for us, it's massively important! I know they see pregnant women and the same questions over and over and I suppose it frustrates them, but for that woman, it's a whole new thing. Grrrr. Still, I can't complain at the GP I saw last - she was awesome and referred me instantly.   I've got PCOS, for which the only symptoms I was/am showing are irregular, and often anovulatory, cycles - don't have anything else that is typical, no visible cmmon symptoms, like extra weight, hair growth, etc. This has made 3 doctors question me when I say I have it, like I'm making it up!! My new GP asked me how I knew I had it (I was scanned in 2006) so she said I'd be sent for new scans, blood tests and referral to the fertility unit. All within 6 months of trying image She said no point in the "You must try for 12 months" rule if they already know I have a fertility issue, so to get me on their books asap and get any help we might need now, rather than in another 6-12 months, which leads to demoralisation and general mental knackeredness!!

We've been technically trying since February, but I only ovulated for the first time last month and first proper af this month.  So I know I'm stupid to be questioning why I haven't ov'd yet this month...I've only got one proper month to compare it to!

So sorry about your mmc image Just an awful way to find out.  Had two friends that have had them in the last year. One was last Feb (baby died 7 weeks, but due to a blood clot, it didn't expel properly then. Didn't register with her body until week 13, where she went into full final labour, just horrible) and the other in July (discovered by scan). Great that your cycles have regulated, even if a little long. Like you want to have to wait another week!!! Grr! Life would be awesome if cycles were 21 days - only one 2ww in there then, after ov, rather than a 2-3ww to ov, then a 2ww after. Life's full of waiting, haha! xxx

• Hooray!!! Check us all out with our ovulation prediction!image
  • Hi ladies,

TulipRose, how are you hun?

WooH, that is good news that they've referred you to the fertility clinic straight away. Let's hope that they can help you conceive soon. How did you find out that you weren't ovulating? Or are anovulatory cycles linked to PCOS? (Apologies for the silly questions - I do not know much about PCOS)

My mc was similar to your friend's. I was 13 weeks + when I started spotting and feeling very emotional, like I knew that there was something wrong. Went to the emergency unit and was told to wait for 4 hours? My partner complained to the midwife and she told us to complain to the unti manager so when I asked the receptionist, she was like: Love, you are all in the same boat here! I got checked by 3 nurses and had 3 scans, we were told that the baby stopped developing at 10+5 - we were both devastated. When they first scanned me, my partner looked at the screen and had a big smile on his face - he could see the baby! But a minute or so later the nurse said, I'm so sorry Judy, it is bad news, I cannot see a heart beat! I was extremely upset, my face was all wet and my mascara ran down my face.I coudn't say a word, I was so upset! So they took us to a private room to discuss the next steps and when the receptionist saw me, she was like are you ok love? do you need anything? I felt like saying that actually we weren't all in the same boat because most ladies walked out of there knowing that their babies were ok and still alive.

It has been an emotional battle since,I just feel sorry for myself! After joining this forum I realised that I was not alone and there were a lot of ladies out there who've been through the same thing image

Onwards and upwards from now on thou. I joined the gym and work out almost every day - I put on almost a stone after my mc so need to lose it image I always bragged about being able to fit in a size 8, well .... not any more ha ha ha 

Sorry about this big, long rant image

xxx

• Oh my goodness, that's horrendous image I'm so sorry you went through that, especially with the lack of compassion from the receptionist. Hopefully it has made you a stronger person and solidified your relationship with oh - I think heart-breaking situations like that either weaken your relationship or just confirm you're meant to be. I don't know how you even come back from it though - I just can't get my head around it image    My friend had a similar thing with the receptionist - when she'd actually finished with contractions, she was then sent for a scan but the receptionist made her wait in a room with all the happy couples waiting for happy scans - she was wearing a hospital gown caked in blood and it all down her legs. She said there was a guy sitting there visibly in tears for her, just horrendous. I mean, it was bad for her of course, but what about the other people in there waiting too? Another friend, just a few months ago, lost her baby the day she left for maternity leave - then had to deliver him. Urgh. Life is so cruel.    I just hope you're able to conceive a beautiful, healthy baby quickly to help heal you image  Both my mmc friends conceived less than 4 months after (one without trying!) and have completely healthy bubs now image

Don't worry about the weight! If you're hitting the gym, it'll drop off image  I'm the same as you (though without a major emotional trauma as my reason...I just ate too much), size 8 and I put on over a stone from Nov last year. Tried faddy diet stuff but restricting myself made me crave more and put me in bad mood. So took up running again on 6th June. I lost over a stone in 5 weeks whilst eating what the hell I want, so back to my traditional size 8 and feel better than I have done in years, literally years. I'm the same size but my body is so strong and my energy levels, stress levels and general well-being is so much better - and I'm able to run about 8 miles with no major stressing, so all is well. It's like my mini-addiction now! (((But my feeling like crap coincided with me starting Cerazette, including finding it harder to lose weight/trim up, massive lack of libido, migraines and all sorts....all of which have gone since coming off it.. Interesting!)))

God, they're not silly questions! image  I still don't know a huge amount but PCOS can be an absolute bitch.  It can give make some women insulin-resistant, overweight, grown hair in a male hair pattern, sweat issues, problems in losing weight and skin issues, as well as absent or infrequent periods, bad quality eggs (so higher chance of mc), no ovulation, hard-casings on the eggs so sperm can't penetrate them, etc.  It's also linked to endo too, which is just awful.  I'm 'lucky', I suppose, in that I'm not over-weight, hairy, skin problems, or anything. It's just my eggs have thick casings and my periods would sometimes stop altogether (nearly a year in one instance, which is when they sent me for scans and said it was pcos). They put me on Cerazette to kind of 'freeze-frame' my system, to stop my body releasing any eggs at all, so my ovaries have basically shut down for 6 years! I guess they figured back in 2006 I wasn't ov'ing because I wasn't getting periods, and when I was, they were so light. Since coming off Cerazette, I've taken my temps so know the only ov I've had was about July 28th this year. So it's not been a huge problem for me, I suppose, seeing as my body can actually ovulate, though ov'ing regularly is what the fertility people are going to try assist. The only thing I'm really worried about with pcos is the high

• Hello Wooh,

To be honest, I don't know how I came back from it. I'm still very emotional about it and think about it all the time image But you are right, it made our relationship stronger. I mean, I have never seen him cry like he cried then and on the day of the operation (ERPC) he stayed in the hospital with me all day. He had nothing to eat all day, bless him, he sat there waiting for me all day!

OMG, what happened to your friend is also horrendous! I think some people should not be inthe jobs they are in because they do not know how to treat others.

It is good to hear that they conceived almost straight away. I was hoping that I will one of the lucky ladies that fall pregnant within a month image We are currently 4 months in and still nothing. I guess I just need to be patient and it will happen. Maybe it is not happening because we are trying too hard and I am stressing about it?

Oh wow, that is impressive - a stone within 5 weeks? I'd need something like that. I have been hitting the gym for 3 weeks now, but not lost any weight yet so I am convinced that our scales are wrong ha ha. I have started a diet on Tuesday - it is called a 90 day diet so will see if it works for me again. I was on this diet last year for 30 days and lost 5kg (think it is just over half a stone). I will carry on going to the gym because it is really helping me at the moment - I do hardcore workouts and usually go home drenched in sweat (attractive, NOT) image You can get addicted to running and workouts, I am the same, I feel the addiction coming on ha ha

I really hope that the fertility clinic will be able to help you. I have read that a lot of ladies have been put on Clomid to trigger ovulation? I think every woman should be able to experience pregnancy and I really hope that with the help of the fertility people you will be able to get pregnant soon.

xxx

• Hi

Just wanted to say

I saw on a documentary that it is known that exercise will not make you lose weight. It can only tone and improve your fitness. It is food habits alone that impact weight. They say because exercise is limited by your natural metabolism.

I did weigjt watchers online. Took a few weeks to get into the swing but then found it very effective. I went from 10.5 stone to 9 stone in about 3 months. Finally lost the last bit of baby weight! Probably in time to our it all back on with a new baby! Lol
  • Awww bless you TulipRose image

I'm sure you will not mind putting the weight back on when you get preg again. I know it is mainly the eating habits - trying to survive on salads and fruit at the moment. This diet that I am on now does not allow you to mix food groups. One day you get a fruit only day (very hard and never stuck to it properly ha ha), then you get a protein day so you can eat as much meat or eggs or cheese as you like, then you get a starch day and a carbs day (you are allowed chocolate and ice-cream on this day). And then you do this all over again. It worked for me last year and I hope that it will work this time too. I did not want to go on a diet because we are trying for a baby, but my weight gain is bothering me now - BIG TIME. I could not fit in my suit the other day - I was like WTH? ha ha

xxx

• TulipRose, what documentary was that? That sounds mental and probably one of these craze theorists, like when Atkins said it was good for you to never eat carbs, or slimming pills are the best way to become slim, or carb only diets... There's hundreds of other scientific theories that talk against it. I just told my dh (has worked in the fitness business for over 12 years), and he went, "WHAT?"; it's against everything he's ever learnt, taught other people and had success with. 

Whether or not you lose weight depends entirely on the type of exercise you do.  If you do enough cardio AND keep your heart rate where it should be in order to burn fat/calories, you DO lose weight.  If you only do weights, you'll lose weight (and tone) through lifting the weights, but by lifting the weights, you're building muscle and therefore heaviness back on again.  It's also about being regular with it. If you keep exercising, you'll put on heaviness again because you're building muscle. I know I'll put some back on again - the fat's trimmed off me but my legs are building muscle I never knew I had. This weighs something!

For me, well, I'm eating more than I've ever eaten and yet I've lost weight. When I couldn't exercise (injuries from serious car accident), I started to gain weight, despite eating next to nothing - dangerously so. This time, DH put together my exercise plan; I regret not listening to him earlier, instead of making myself miserable, hungry and feeling poorly through trying various diets, including Dukan, Slimming World and Fast Diet.  

My friend is identical to me. She did Slimming World strictly for 6 months, lost 9lbs. Went back to eating how she was before (healthy anyway!), and she weighed more than she did just 3 weeks after. She started running and she's now 2 stone lighter in just 4 months and eats the way she always has.

DH is the same. He ran a marathon in May and he ate disgustingly in comparison to his usual healthy diet; ate lots of every bad food (pizza, chips, McD's...etc) you could possibly imagine during the whole of his training, but lost nearly 3 stone from just running (and he wasn't even vaguely overweight to begin with - ultra-swimmer physique!). He obviously couldn't have eaten 2 Big Macs, like he did, then go for a 20 minute run, expecting weight to fall off - obviously he was burning off what he was eating, and that is absolutely key.

The changing-eating-only, of course it will work for some - but for the vast majority of people, it won't, and it seems the documentary is leading people to think that simply by changing their food habits, they'll get the figure they desire. Worryingly so, if they don't lost weight then they'll eat less, and less, and less..... and there starts a whole new problem. It's also talking people out of the importance of exercise - exercise isn't just about losing weight, it's about keeping your mind and organs in a good way. 

If people combine sensible eating and exercise, it's a winning combination in the right amounts. No one should expect to lose 3 stone if they run for 10 minutes a week and eats 4 McD's, but likewise, they shouldn't expect a size 8, toned, slim and healthy figure by just eating less. It should be a life-style: balanced diet AND effective exercise. 

I guess that with your diet and your exercise, sweetjudy, you'll be trim in no time - no better feeling than being toned, healthy and feeling great image xxx

Sorry - that's long again. Blame DH - it's his rantimage

• Hey WooH

Agree that exercise is not only good for losing weight but also for keeping your mind and body in shape. I've always loved exercise and I only stopped last year cos my partner was having a go at me for overdoing it when ttc. As your DH is a fittness enthusiast, could you please tell me what his oppion is on exercise during pregnancy? I think it is ok to exercise as long as you don't over do it and don't lift heavy weights, etc. I wanted to get a full 6 month membership at the local gym (it came with a free haircut and other stuff) and my partner had a right go saying that I will hurt the baby if I carry on when I get pregnant. Obviously I would not do strenuos exercises, I would probably walk on the treadmill, etc So I decided not to bother and I'm paying it on a pay as you go basis image 

xx