Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Symptoms After Stopping Birth Control?

I stopped taking the pill about 3 months ago and got my period every month (I did not initially have a long delay, my first period came about when it would have if I was still on the pill). I am about 10 days late, but I don't think I am pregnant (2 negative hpt's and I'm not even sure if I had sex during the fertile part of my cycle). My question is, could the hormones now be out of my system causing my cycle to be irregular? Thank you!

Replies

• It's a big possibility. The hormones can take a while to leave your system, causing an af type bleed when it should do - ladies often then think they've got back to normal straight away. As the hormone leaves your system though, the bleeds don't arrive then it look like your cycle is messed up, when actually, it's sorting itself out. Every woman is different though so it's just going to have to be a waiting game, which sucks! With any luck, you're pregnant but if you're not, don't be too hard on yourself. As an example, it took me 6 months to get a period after stopping the pill, whereas my friend was already 3 months pregnant 6 months after stopping.

I would suggest trying to track your ovulation and temperatures though. Can seem like a pain in the ass at first but it's really one of the only things that lets you see what's happening with your body. See FertilityFriend.com or theres a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility which is amazing. Tracking my ovulation (or lack of) was the only thing that got my doctors moving quickly when I realised there was actually a problem, otherwise they would have just said to keep trying (even though it would have made no difference).

Good luck xx
  • ((I did use paragraphs above but it's got rid of them, sorry!!!))