Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Regular Cycles with PCOS but no Ovulation

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new on the forum after stumbling across a forum about Clomid and PCOS that was really helpful so I thought I would reach out image

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was in my late teens and used birth control to regulate my cycles until about 2 years ago (I am 31 now). After I quit the pill VOILA! completely regular cycles. My doctor told me that sometimes women grow out of it, which was wonderful news because I always worried about not being able to have kids. 

About 10 months ago, my husband and I decided to start trying and have had no success. OPKs do not work well for me because as a woman with PCOS, I tend to have several LH spiked per cycle. I have been temping and have very irregular with no clear trending.

Last month, my doctor sent me for progesterone testing and it was determined that I did not ovulate that month. I am going again this month to test but am starting to try to understand what my treatment options are going to be before I go in for my next appointment.

I understand that Clomid and Metaformin are drugs that are used to induce ovulation in women, especially with PCOS. I also read that my doctor may want me to go for the dye test (Hysterosalpingogram) as well and that hubby will have to go get his swimmers checked. What else is out there? 

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation? I have been trying to find examples out there of people in the same boat that have ultimately been successful but it seems that regular cycles with PCOS and no ovulation is a rare situation. Please prove me wrong!

Replies

• Hi there

I also have pcos which I only found out when we started trying for a family. I have always had regular cycles. I was put on Clomid last year and got pregnant on the 3rd cycle although I did miscarry at 10 weeks.

7 months on we felt ready to give it a another go with Clomid (we still had unprotected sex for the 7 months but nothing happened I obviously need the Clomid to conceive) and hey Presto after just one cycle I got pregnant.................with twins!! I'm now 22+5 with a boy and girl.

There is hope,your time will come,good luck! 

• Hi Fingerscrossed image 

Your story is very like mine. I was getting cycles, but totally bizarre ones. I'd have a really light period every 12-13 days, but would never ovulate on my own.

That's great that you've been referred. You'll likely find that the process itself is more long-winded than the treatment. It's a lot of form-filling, waiting for tests, etc, but once it's done, it all happens pretty quickly. I had the HSG, an infections test, dh had the sperm analysis and I had an abdominal ultrasound.

I was from October to February waiting for all the tests to be complete (to be fair, I had a nightmare with it, they kept losing results, then was delayed for 3 weeks because of Christmas and bank holidays and staff on holiday, etc!).  I started Clomid in March, which made me ovulate but caused cysts. After another cyst due to Clomid on the next cycle, they put me on injections starting this month and yesterday I got my bfp image 

I never thought it would happen but 11dpo, there the line was! image Sending you lots of luck and speedy referral xx