Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Need advice!!!

About two weeks ago, I quit taking my birth control mid pack. Nearly immediately I started my period and it's about time for me to ovulate. What I would like to know is if this cycle is my actual period or not since I just quit my birth control. If so, then I'd assume that my ovulation window will start soon. Is this my true ovulation window that I should begin trying to conceive, or is this inaccurate since its my first period since I stopped my birth control?  Is it safe to determine my ovulation window based on my period immediately after stopping my birth control? Your period can be altered and changed in schedule but does your ovulation window stay the same regardless of when you have your period, or does it stick to following 14 days after the start of the bleed? Does your ovulation window change schedule with your period, or is it possible that I altered my period timing, which may also change up my ovulation window? My period is off schedule, but will I still probably ovulate 14 days after the start of it, or will my ovulation stick to my old period schedule before it was unaltered? I'd love to conceive as soon as possible but are my chances of doing so any less than if I were to wait another month for my period? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• It probs was your period yes...I stopped taking mine in July 2014 and came on about 3 days after...I then had really irregular periods...then I started to notice I began to ovulate again and got caught pregnant in the December. Every women's body is different and can change at different rates. I would say yes start trying and see what happens maybe have a chat with your gp and explain you have come off the pill as you are ttc she will give you a better overall of it. Hope it happens soon for you :) good luck xxx

• It can be, it can take a couple of months for cycles to return to normal after ceasing hormonal based contraception. Give yourself some months for your cycles to return to their usual pattern and if in the meantime you’re concerned or there’s anything to suggest that you have a problem, then check with your GP.