Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any "older" TTCers out there? *waves*

Hi, I am an old hitched TTCer, my DS is 6 years old, nearly 7.

I am going to be 40 in December and I am hoping I still have a chance to have a second child......chances are slim! I just wondered if there are any other older than average TTCers out there. It took me 2 years to get pregnant with my DS, managed to do so naturally with help of acupuncture and plenty of persistence!

I got remarried last October and my DH doesn't have any children and I would really like to give him that as well as give my son a sibling......scared to hope!

CC x

Replies

• I'm almost 31 and fed up of being told about my clock ticking! Nobody knows we are TTC or even planning babies so I have to grit my teeth! Hope youre journey is a short one

• Hi, I'm not ttc I'm pregnant but just wanted to give you some hope.my daughter is nearly 6,we tried for her for close to a year.thiis time, we dtd 6 times without protection and bingo!I'm 39.good luck and hope its speedy.

• I'm 33 and H is 40. I have a few friends who conceived at 40 Claire so it can happen.

• I'm not 'older' but I am part of the TTC furniture so I feel old!

Good luck, I hope your journey is short and sweet.

• Ah Ducky you're merely an ankle biter!

• Waves back, me, I'm already 40 and been trying for a year we got a BFP in Nov 2012 which didn't last :( so here I am still trying. We are trying for our first.

We will probably see my GP about it as I already mentioned it to her a couple of months ago and she told me to go back if we weren't pregnant by the end of the summer.

Good luck with your ttc journey :)

• I'm 35, it's debatable what counts as an older ttcer. My friend had a very easy pregnancy at 40, I hope you have an easier journey of it than last time

• Thanks everyone! My DH is currently working abroad at the moment and comes back every 2 weeks so not easy to time things, if you know what I mean! I am nearly at the end of my current cycle, about 13dpo if I have my dates accurate. He last came home 2 days after I had O'd......very frustrating!

• Hi, I'm 39 and ttc for first time. On the plus side, my body seems to behave itself, regular cycles and positive OPKs, but on the minus side, I'm not pregnant yet! We're going to give it until November then see the GP I think.

• I'll be 35 next month and pregnant with our first after 12 months TTC. My good pal is 40 and just gave birth to a gorgeous baby girl, her 3rd baby after being told in her 20s she was infertile!

• I'm nearly 35, not ancient but not a youngster either!

• I've just turned 34, though everyone around me seems to think this is 'ancient' for ttc number 1!! Not that they know we're trying, but the comments have changed from 'when are you having a baby then?' to 'you decided not have kids then?' like that door has well and truly closed now as I'm so old.

• I'm nearly 34, and I guess I could be considered older. I haven't ever thought of myself as old until I started ttc, and now it's all I hear!

• I am 34 and even though there are lots of women ttc their first child at this age, i am concious of my age now.

• I'm 35 and ttc no.2. Getting more conscious of my age now. Had my first aged 33.

• I've just turned 35 and I feel like I've left it too late to start trying for number 1.

I wrongly thought that I could just decide when I had a family.

• I'm not TTC but I remember you from long ago!  Hope it's easier for you this time x

• Hi CC, I am 40 in Nov and we are trying for our first - just about to start IVF. I know of a lot of friends/relatives that have conceived fairly easily in their late thirties and some in their early forties. When we started trying 4 years ago I didn't particularly think of myself as old - maybe on the older side, but not 'old'. Now that I am nearly 40 things do feel a bit different. Sometimes I think people look at me and think 'why did you leave it so late?' but then I remind myself it wasn't a conscious decision, just the way life worked out. Unfortunately I didn't meet anyone that I wanted to be with and have a family with until I was in my mid thirties. I hope ttc number 2 doesn't take too long for you.

• I'm 39 and have been trying for 3 years, hope your ttc journey is a short one!

• Good luck, I hope this ttc journey is short and sweet for you. My mum had me when she was 40 - I was an accident, so it certainly didn't take much 'trying' or any intervention! I have 2 older siblings so wasn't her first, I think that sometimes makes subsequent efforts to conceive that bit easier / quicker. Similarly my sister was 39 with her second child and caught on the first cycle of trying.