Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone had any experience TTC with very low sperm motility?

Hello,

Im back again (not been on for a while).
I just wanted to come and see if anyone has had experience with TTC with very low sperm motility?

We are still TTC baby number 2 with no joy. We have been refered back to ther fertility doc and have our first appointment on thursday. When we TTC with Ava we knew H had 9% motility, but this time round it has dropped to only 2% motility and of that 2% only 1% are moving progressively. So not good.

Has anyone got any info, advice, experience with treatment for this?
I'm guessing they are going to say IVF with ICSI like they did the first time round (but we managed to get pregnant naturally before we got there!), but I am very doubtful they will do it on the NHS. If this is the case it will most probably be a no go due to finances. :(
I keep hoping that they will say the IUI will be an option as it is a little bit more affordable, but I dont think they will.

Anyway... any info would be much appreciated.

xxx

Replies

• Options

Hi Chez, I don't have any experience of low sperm motility, but have attempted IUI and had a successful IVF cycle. I was under the impression that they used the same method to select sperm for IUI as IVF and so would have thought it would have been a good cheaper option for you to try? Might be wrong though, but worth asking. If NHS won't offer you the treatment for free you could tell them you want to go down the private route and they shouldn't have reason to refuse. Have you had tests too? x

• Options

Thanks for replying loobylou. I did wonder if they selected good sperm with the IUI. Thanks for that info. I will ask this on thursday (have made a llist of questions!).

I have had my bloods tested which have shown that I am ovulating, but no doubt they will want to do scans and a laparsocopy like they did last time round. We'll see what the plan is!!

Thanks again x

• Options

No problem at all-thinking out loud, is it also worth asking if you could have some of his sperm frozen now (I'd assume they would select the best before freezing, not sure)? Just In case it does take some time to go through tests etc/save for treatment? x