Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Clomid

*waves* I'm a long time lurker for various reasons (mainly because having almost no cycles due to PCOS means I haven't ever really been properly TTC). However I am finally about to start my first cycle of clomid. Anyone else taking it or about to start taking it? Not really sure what to expect and trying not to get my hopes up!

Replies

• Options

Hey Peanut, lovely to see you over these parts but hope your stay is a short one :) I personally haven't used Clomid but my friend did, she described the side effects as PMT but a bit worse but everyone is different. Is it right that you take the tablets for 5 days? So it's not that long. Have they told you how many months of it you'll take? From what I've read it can be very successful so I really hope that it works for you :)

• Options

Hi Peanut! Sorry I have no idea on clomid but I hope it works for you.  Feel free to join us on our weekly chat thread!

• Options

Hi Peanut! I haven't taken it myself but my friend did and she said she had more cramping than normal especially around ov time. She did three cycles on it and, by the third one, she found it too sore so she stopped and fell pregnant on her first cycle off it. Hope it works for you too xx

• Options

Thanks everyone, especially JJ, that's really useful to know. Congrats on your clomid baby! I've just finished a course of provera to bring on a bleed and then like you I have to ring them on CD1 to book a scan for CD10, and I take the clomid from CD2-6. I was told I could have up to 12(!) cycles on clomid but that was from a locum gynaecologist rather than my fertility consultant (there was a muck up with the appointment booking so I saw the wrong person on the day), my understanding would that it would be up to 6, and would be increased to 100mg and then 150mg if I didn't respond. I will take the clomid at night, that's a good suggestion, thank you!

Random question but what did you tell work? I'm worried about having to explain loads of hospital appointments if I keep having to go for monitoring scans.

• Options

Hi Peanut!

I took letrozole which is very similar to clomid. They only did monitoring scans for me on the first cycle and then once they knew it was an appropriate dose just kept on going. I was told you can have 12 cycles (same as clomid) in your lifetime, so if you wanted two kids for example you could do six and six. I also ovulated on the lowest dose but took til cycle 5 to get a bfp, then unfortunately miscarried but luckily got another bfp on cycle six. If all goes well we will still be able to use six again for a second child.

Hope this helps, anything else just ask. Letrozole and clomid work slightly differently on the brain but basically are very similar!

Good luck with it all!

• Options

Belated congrats on your BFP Macgirl. It didn't even occur to me that there would be a lifetime limit if you had a baby successfully with Clomid so that's useful to know.

• Options

Hi Peanut,

I used to post on here daily (about a year ago) but stopped as my cycles were over 100 days and after 15 months of trying I try not to think about it so just lurk every now and again! I wanted to comment on your post though as I am on my second cycle of clomid, I started on 50g but didn't have a great response (although my cycle shortened to 31 days so responded a little) and now on 100g cycle day 12, I have a follicle tracking scan on Monday to see if I've responded. The only side effect I have had is really bad hot flushes especially at night but they're bearable when you think what it might achieve!

Good luck with it, it sounds silly but just knowing you're doing something to help ovulation feels good! Fingers crossed for you! xx

• Options

Good luck for Monday, I really hope 100mg does the trick for you :)

• Options

How was your scan on Monday Scotty? I had a scan yesterday on CD8, doesn't look like my ovaries have responded to the clomid yet but it might be too early. Got another one next week on CD13, if I'm still not responding then they'll increase the dose.

Clomidders who have had their dosage increased - did you have to start again with a new cycle or did you just take more clomid in the current cycle?

• Options

Hi Peanut, thankyou for asking,  the dr said it was a good response this time and just said to try every other day this week, so just a waiting game now but I don't think we did enough :(

Hopefully cd8 was too early for you (i think its usually cd12 onwards where things start happening) so by cd13 you hopefully will be responding :) unfortunately for increased dosage it's a case of waiting for the start of the next cycle, the bonus being that even when my response wasn't great it still shortened my cycle so fingers crossed you won't have to wait too long to try again!

• Options

I'm really glad you got a good response this time Scotty, got my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks JJ that's really helpful to know. I'm really hoping to have an answer either way on Wednesday, if it hasn't worked I want to crack on with the next cycle ASAP!

• Options

How did it go on Wednesday peanut?

• Options

Scan showed a 13mm follicle in one of my ovaries which was brilliant news, had another scan on Friday which showed it had grown to 15mm. Today I got a positive OPK :)

How's things going with you, how many DPO are you now?

• Options

Ooh brilliant! Fingers crossed for you!!

I'm on cd27 at the moment, thinking AF will come in a few days, trying not to symptom spot as had so many symptoms last month which messed with my head!! I have my work Christmas party on Tuesday so I think I will test that morning but other than that no testing allowed as have spent sooo much money in the past!

• Options

I have everything crossed for you Scotty!

• Options

Hi everyone,

I am new to clomid and its my first month on them.. Not getting my hopes up but have my fingers crossed:) Did anyone have to take it a few times before they got PT? And congrats to those that are PT:) xo