Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Diet and IVF process

Hi everyone

Was there anything in particular you ate more or less of during the IVF process. Was it at a particular stage of the process? 

Anything you drank more or less of?

Thanks!

Replies

• I can't quite comment as I'm not at IVF stage yet but I'm wondering what the reasoning behind this was?? (If you don't mind me asking!!) Is there meant to be a link between diet and IVF - other than the usual eating healthy recommendations?

• I've read that you are supposed to eat lots of protein during certain stages. Pineapple meant to be good as are Brazil nuts supposedly. I've not started IVF yet but am just curious if anyone has had /is currently having treatment have altered their diet in anyway. There are lots we shouldn't eat apparently. Certain fish as high in Mercury, soft cheeses ( I think!) pate etc

• I tried to eat healthily, cut down on processed foods etc, but that was about all really. Certain things are supposed to help in certain scenarios, but as we were unexplained and didn't have a specific problem I didn't get too caught up in it all. I think there's a list on the Fertility Friends website somewhere that details foods and supplements that are supposed to help, might be worth looking that up?

• I think what ST says is right, don't get bogged down with it all so long as you eat a healthy balanced diet. The theory behind the pineapple is that it contains something called Selenium which is meant to help implantation. I took a few things on my Frozen transfer that I believe may have helped a little, I took vitamin B, folic acid, the pregnacare conception and selenium supplements.

• Hi Hopeful,

I'm not at the IVF stage but a friend of mine gave me lots of diet tips from her IVF.

As already said, get plenty of protein with each meal and cut down on processed foods.

Beetroot juice, humous, tomatoes, nuts and seeds were on her list of things to get plenty of.

Obviously cut down on alcohol but if you fancy a drink red wine is meant to better and guiness for the boys is meant to better.

Full fat milk and butter but the boys should cut down on milk.

I'm not sure on supplements I guess the regular ttc ones though.

I think the idea on getting plenty of protein is to help egg quality not sure on the others though!

• Sorry to poke my nose in but please check with your consultant before eating loads of something,  or taking supplements. There's a lot of bad advice out there (not here!), and something that's recommended for one person might be detrimental to another. Really don't mean to sound preachy or anything - I was at a scientific meeting recently and the medics there know that patients want to do something, anything to try and improve their chances, and the last thing they want is for patients to decrease their chances by mistake.

Good luck!

• Totally agree Welshthistle. I was just interested. Work in Pharmaceutical industry so know very well that something maybe  good for one person but not another :-).