Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Multi vitamins/vitamin b6?

Hi ladies,

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am a little concerned that my LP is too short, plus I spot days before AF shows up. I realise that these may not be problems as such but when I was googling reading about it, vitamin b6 came up quite a lot in terms of increasing progesterone levels which in turn increased LP. Does anyone know if this is the case? I have a bottle of multivitamins that were on offer yesterday and they contain b6 but I'm not sure if I can take those with folic acid too?

Probably sounds like such a daft question, sorry! But wondered if anyone had any experience before I make an appt at my GP (was going to make the appt for mid cycle brown spotting and was going to ask him then but any experience would be wonderful).

Thanks!

Replies

• Hi Enjayee,

How many cycles have you been charting for? My first cycle charting was 9 days LP, the second one was 12 so I'm still not on the norm however I do take a multi-vitamin that has B6 in it and always have done yet I still had that short LP the first cycle. I've seen some people on here saying it has helped so it's worth a go. And yes, it's fine to take with folic acid.

Go ahead and make the app for the spotting anyway and mention the LP length - no harm getting a professional opinion. I plan to wait another few cycles to check the LP length before going to doc but then, we haven't started properly TTC'ing anyway just yet.

*ETA* Check if the multi vitamin has folic acid too, my one has 200 folic acid so I end up taking 600 a day and apparently, too much FA can hide a B6 deficiency - not sure how accurate that info is so maybe worth checking with the GP on that basis too.

• Opps - re-googled the whole deficiency thing - it's a B12 deficiency it can mask, not B6 - silly me!

• Hiya,

I have similar problems though on a much more exaggerated scale I think. I spot for anything up to 10 days before AF and LP was around 11 days. B multivitamin seems to have got LP up to 13/14 but no change on the spotting. It is worth going to get the spotting checked. Is it the two days right before AF? Mine can be from 4dpo which the Drs were kinda concerned about. They did bloods 7dpo which all came back clear (progesterone high enough) and did a scan but all was fine. Still don't know why I am getting it but everything looks ok.

But it is important to mention spotting to Drs as they like to rule certain things out.

The multi B vitamin I take has folic acid in it so I just take that.

• Hiya,

I spot what I think is old blood on CD11 as it's dark and in very small amounts. My GP said he wasn't concerned about it as I had a delicate op 'down there' in Feb but I think I will go back to him as on my last visit from AF I spotted two days before she showed and the one before that I spotted loads about a week before (to the point where I thought I might have actually had a very early MC as I had horrendous night sweats and it was black). But GP said to go back to him if I was still concerned so I think I will.

Thanks so much for advice - the multi vit I have has 200mg of folic acid and I can't remember how much b6 and my folic acid pills are 200mg doses so I take one of each :-)

Thanks again!