Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

PCOS & long/irregular cycles

basically i have found in the US there is something sold called Pregnitude, this is given mainly to women with irregular cycles and PCOS.

Pregnitude basically is a B6 vitamin called inositol.

for people with PCOS this vitamin can:

Improves egg quality and thus increases the probability of a successful pregnancy.
Increases probability of ovulation so that you can become pregnant sooner.
Help a fat-clogged liver to unclog itself. (Fat clogged livers are a problem for roughly 50% of women with PCOS).
Can reduce acne and hirsutism (excessive hair growth).
Can relieve depression and mood disorders.
Improves appetite balance.
If you're taking birth control pills to manage PCOS, you will get better results if you also take inositol.
Helpful for postmenopausal women who have metabolic syndrome (similar to PCOS).
Reduces insulin resistance and testosterone, which brings all your other hormones into a better balance.

now the issue i have found is its fairly hard to et hold of in the UK i dont know why ?

i have found on a few protein websites you can buy inositol pure and on its own, or you can buy it mixed with other vitamins. at the moment i am unsure what one i am going to buy. im going to compare the labels of pregnitude and see what best fits.

but i think its worth a go ! what do you think ?

iv included some links to research on its effects;

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/myo-inositol.html

http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/suppl.../#comment-2911

Replies

• Options

I would be very very wary of buying anything that isn't 'just' a vitamin without medical advice. There could be a million reasons why it's not sold here. Is is a presciption only drug nt the US or can you buy it freely??

If it's just B6 then you can get that easily. Check its actual ingredients list and see if there is anything that goes by any other name that isn't just the same thing. If not i think i'd make a GP appointment and take along your research and then ask them.

Be very wary about taking something you've bought off the internet. It's an absolute minefield. Even something that seems same and straightforward.

• Options

I will start by saying i have got no idea about its use in TTC, i know a little bit about it used in psychiatric patients, and a tiny bit about its use in lowering cholesterol.  However i work in a health food shop so know that you can get hold of inositol through various sources.  We stock an inositol made by a company called Solgar who are a fantastic company and very helpful might be worth calling them? There number is  01442 890 355.  Part of the reason you might find  it is difficult to get hold of is  that it is often used as a cutting agent in illegal drugs.

Good luck if you do decide to give it a go and if i can help in any way with more information just shout.

• Options

thanks ladies

PP thank you so much !

i have found more research and in the uk and europe its known as inofolic.

pregnitude is inosotol and folic acid only. so i take folic acid already and i have seen the health food shops sell inosotol.

WEB MD says :

Inositol is also used by mouth for treating conditions associated with polycystic ovary syndrome, including failure to ovulate; high blood pressure; high triglycerides; and high levels of testosterone.

How does it work?

Inositol might balance certain chemicals in the body to possibly help with conditions such as panic disorder, depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and polycystic ovary syndrome.

its completely herbal so im inclined to try it, online it also says it can be used in conjunction with metformin,

i wont buy it online but i might pop to holland and barrat tomorrow and buy a pot !

• Options

Only thing i will say is herbal products can be as powerful as prescription meds so don't be fooled by the its only herbal.  I am certainly not saying don't take it but certainly do plenty of research and if needs be chat to a doctor or pharmacist.  If you are going to buy some ensure you buy a good brand as herbal products are not licensed in the same way as pharmaceutical products and it is very much a case that you get what you pay for in a lot of cases.  

Good luck

• Options

thank you PP, i spoke to my dr this morning and she said she couldnt advise on it as it wasnt a prescribed medicine. but there are so many reviews all over the internet of it almost curing the symptoms of PCOS that i think it has to be worth a shot !

iv looked at the solgar ones and they say vegicaps , am i looking at the right ones ?

• Options

After reading this post, I have popped into Holland and Barrett and picked up 2 pots :) Hope it works!

• Options

cupcake ! fingers crossed. im popping in tomorrow to get some as well ! i cant believe iv not heard of it before!

• Options

No me neither, Hubby was well up for it haha! bless him fingers crossed they help in some way!

• Options

i think they will, theres too many positive stories !

yh my hubby cant wait either ! special trip to town tomorrow for them!

what dosage are you going to take?

• Options

I am thinking 2 tablets a day more chances I also brought some other stuff for my ankle so that's like 4 tablets in the morning lol! What about you?

• Options

iv read that people should take 2000mg a day so i may take 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening

• Options

Oh really, Well I might try the same then

• Options

I couldn't wait any longer and started taking the 2000mg yesterday, So on my second day today, I have decided too take 2 in the morning and one in the evening :)! Hope you managed too buy them :)

• Options

Hiya yh I got 650mg tablets the shop also suggest B6 so I'm going to take them also