Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Short vs. long protocol (IVF related)

What's the difference between short and long protocol when talking about IVF.  Which did/are you doing?

Any experiences would be appreciated... 

Replies

• As far as I understood from our consultation, long protocol is where they basically shut down your ovaries and then you are stimulated with hormones to trigger follicle production The first part is called "down regulation", but often shortened to "down regging". The stimulation part is similar to what I did for IUI only the doses are a lot higher so there are more eggs to be collected. Short protocol refers to just the hormonal stimulation (aka "stimming"). Should we have gone to IVF, or indeed should we still need to, we would have gone the short protocol way. I'm not sure what's best for whom; hopefully one of the other ladies who has been through it will be able to answer.

My clinic has a handy pdf on it which may be helpful - www.danfert.dk/.../IVF_Treatment_guide.pdf - but note that the drugs used in different clinics may vary. But I think the procedures will be roughly the same.