Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Trying for number 2 frustrations

Hello all, I used to be a regular here 4 to 5 years ago and back again! My son is 4 now but when he turned 3 we decided to try for another after much deliberation. Only my problem is we are now over a year down the line and not conceived yet. I should have guessed it would take a while again as it took 11 months to conceive our son but we did so naturally. I'm annoyed I went back on the pill after him as well, I should have stayed off it.

So any tips on ttc again would be gratefully received, I seem to have forgotten or tried to forget me the whole charting thing! I'm getting to the point where I don't want the gap to be too big and I'm approaching mid 30s and wonder if I should stick with 1 or keep trying for number 2.

Thanks x

Replies

• Options

Hi there and welcome back to MD! I'm new to the TTC game so can't quite comment on the second time around thing however, I would suggest going to your GP as it's usually advisable to discuss it if it hasn't happened after a year? Are you using any TTC aids like ovulation predictor kits or anything? Have your cycles returned to 'normal' since coming off the pill?

• Options

Daydreamer, I belong to a parent group on FB with absolutely stacks of members. There was a thread recently asking parents to comment as to how long subsequent children took to conceive, about 70-80% commented that their second child took longer (sometimes much longer) to conceive. I know that's no comfort but I thought I'd mention it as it seems to be the norm as opposed to the exception x

• Options

We've just decided to start ttc number 2 ourselves starting next month. I hope it doesn't take too much longer for you. Like you, I went on the pill after I had W, but I was only on it for 6 months. W is coming up for 14 months, so I'm hopeful it won't take us too long, but realise it might be a lot longer. We'll be using OKS as we did before.

• Options

We conceived #2 first cycle, but that ended in mmc. It then took a further nine months to conceive again, but we conceived first month of using cbfm so I'd definitely recommend that. Good luck x

• Options

Yes my relative took over 2 years to fall pregnant with number 2!

• Options

Welcome! I would definitely recommend charting so you get used to your body patterns. I haven't been successful conceiving our first and we're being referred for tests in August but it was through charting that I thought that something might be up with my ovulation and consequently my luteal phase, which prompted me to go to the doctors after our 12th unsuccessful cycle. You can get cheapo OPKs from Amazon which is what a lot of us here use: www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_1

I hope it doesn't take too much longer for you. X

• Options

FYI I'm approaching my mid 30s and am not giving up on no. 1 so hang in there x

• Options

I'd recommend ebay for opks and for tests too actualy! You can get 30 opks or ICs for £3 free postage. And I got 2 clear blue digitals for less than a tenner.