Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

TTC but also need to diet...

Hi all,

We are trying to conceive baby number two. My BMI is around 30, so I am definitely overweight, but I'm at least back to my pre baby number 1 weight!

We are now trying for another, but as I got gestational diabetes last time I want to watch what I  eat and hopefully lose quite a few pounds to try and stop getting it again.

Last pregnancy I gave birth 6 weeks early and I'm pretty confident that my fear of a high blood sugar reading and resulting lack of calories and eventual weight loss played a part.

I want to lose weight, but not at the expense of a risk of miscarriage. Equally, I don't want to delay dieting in case my high BMI delays conception!

What is a sensible amount of calories to aim for in this situation?  I am also working on getting my fitness back...

Sorry for the warble and thanks in advance!

Replies

• Hi I too am ttc and diet at the same time .. its hard to not obsess over the food we eat but what I would say is stand by a simple rule .. dont starve yourself . If you're feeling weak and tired then your diet is not right .. focus on eating clean ( reduce processed food  as they usually contain unhealthy ingredients)

make sure your diet suts your needs as you are a mom you will be busy hhebce preparing meals could be a hassel .. try meal prepping as it ensures guaranteed healthy food and you wont end up cheating on your diet . focus on food that is good for weightloss .. grilled proteins, sweet potatoe , beans, pulses etc .. include lots of greens such as spinach as its good for ttc too ! 

Lastly excersise .. diet should not effect your chances to concieve as long as you have lots of water , cut back on caffeine and eat lots of green and lean protien . Eating several small meals a day is a good way to ensure you are getting the calories you need .. infact its better to eat 5 -6 small meals a day than 3 big meals . hope this helps