Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any ideas?

hey ladies. i was on the pill for 9 years and finished taking it about 6 months ago. Been TTC since. I thought my AF had settled down regular and averaged about 32 day cycle. This month I had been doing OPKs and kept getting negative results, until I had a positive 5 days before AF was due. I am now 4 days late and have had cramping since AF was due but still no sign. Any ideas? Could pregnancy be happening? X 

Replies

• If you had a positive then its possible that you ovulated later than normal, The point between ovulation and period never changes, so if you ovulate later then your period will be later.

• This is why I'm confused because my period has usually been on time, maybe a day here or there. My last period started 23rd feb, and it shoulda started Monday but still nothing. Been having cramps since but not like normal period cramps. Guess it's a waiting game for now.. 

• Like fly says if you ovulated later than usual your period will be later. If you have a "typical" 14 days between ovulation and period then you wouldn't be due until about 5th of April. Even when you think you have a regular cycle something happens to throw a curveball without an  explanation sometimes. Have you tracked your ovulation before?

You could try testing but might be too early yet. 

• I haven't been testing for long, I didn't last month because I tried to relax and forget about it. I got a positive January which was accurate with my app but obviously got AF that month. This month I kept getting negatives when my app said I was in my fertile week. Something in my head last Wednesday told me to check and that's when the line went as dark as the other line within seconds, it was so fast. 

• The apps are useless unless you are bang on the same cycle every month which is very rare. My OV days vary anything from CD10 - CD17 - I always know to add on 14 days after I have O'd.

My cycles have been all over the place since TTC - even if you don't think you are stressed, the subconcious can delay ovulation. If I were you, I would be adding on the 2 weeks to the day you got your positive OPK - this will mean that your AF isn't actually due until 9 days after what you though you would be.

The time between period and ovulation can change every month... but once O has happened, then that time will always be the same - you generally add on 2 weeks to the O day to get your AF due day.

• Thankyou. I guess it'll be a waiting game until middle of next week then. Fingers crossed AF doesn't come! 

• Hi, 

Have you tried to do a pg test? Maybe you ovulated later, but there is a chance you're pregnant. My Ov test was positive few days before expected Af. It wouldn't hurt to test, even just to rule out the pregnancy. :) good luck. 

• I don't want it to be too early lol. If that OPK was correct I'm 8dpo x 

• Yeah, 8 dpo is quite early.. Maybe try in a few days. I hope you get your BFP soon! 

(I had a squinter bfp at 8dpo and opk was almost positive, but it depends, when you implant, I guess.) 

• thankyou. I'm going to try an wait until beginning of next week before i try testing.