Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Coming off mycrogynon

Hi Ladies

I really would appreciate some insight here. I've been on microgynon for over 10 years, in June me and my husband decided it's time to take that next step in our lives. So I decided to stop the pill.

It's now coming up to 3 months and I haven't had a proper period yet. I've had the occasional bleed for a day which is very faint and last week I had a 2 day bleed, but nothing like a normal period.

I am getting a bit concerned now as I should have had my full bleed by now.

Me and my husband have invested in a ovulating kit but feels pointless.

Can someone please help or advise me.

Replies

• Sadly it can take some women months before their cycle regulates after coming off contraception. Can you remember what your periods were like before the pill? Sometimes our periods change after the pill so might be lighter than before which would explain your light bleeds. Give the ovulation tests a go but use cheapy ones so you can do them every day and see if you are ovulating

• Hi Becks 

Thank you for getting back. X

My periods were always regular never missed s month before the pill. I feel like I'm stressing about so much it's all I think about atm! 

• Might be worth speaking to your doctor to see what they would advise. Know it is difficult when you want to conceive so much but try and keep yourself busy day to day, stress won"t help your body (viscious circle  I know) 

I don't have any experience of it but some women on here have used Agnus Castus to help regulate their cycle but you would need to have a proper read up on it 

• I came off the microgynon after 8 years myself last October and I didn't have a period until the end of January, so 3 months I had to wait! Then when my period did come I bled pretty much constantly for 7 months with only a few days break here and there - only just stopped bleeding at the end of this August! I had investigations to see if there was anything untoward or underlying but nothing was ever found. The pill just seemed to wreak havoc with my system lol! Apparently in some cases it can take up to 13 months for your periods to return to normal.

I'm sure your experience will most certainly not mirror mine, but just thought I would share my experience with you. 

Fingers crossed you regulate soon xx 

• That should say 12 months not 13 sorry x 

• Hi Swxo 

Wow that sounds like it must have taken its toll on you. I've been bleeding randomly but nothing like normal period.

Fingers crossed you feel better soon X please keep me posted as I will too. 

• Hey Saneka!

It was an absolute nightmare lol!  It's been stopped for around 4 weeks now (fx stays that way!), just not sure when my next period should be as no clue where they were in that 7 month period! Getting lots of symptoms associated with pregnancy atm so it means I've either fallen lucky in my first blood free month lol, or AF is regulating herself! Hoping for option number 1 :) will keep u posted! Xx

• I came off microgynon in July after being on for 5 years. I had a 36 day cycle And bled for 5 days. I'm on day 27 now expecting another 35 is cycle. Before I went on I was always 25-28 days and bled for 7-8. So it does have some affect on your body!

• Fingers crossed you get some good news Swxo