Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Could I possibly be pregnant?

I’m newly married, so a baby is definitely not in the plans but we would be pleasantly surprised if I was pregnant! My last period was on February 11th. It lasted 4 days which is very normal. I had just decided to start birth control and took my first pill on February 20th. We had unprotected sex a day later on the 21st, but he pulled out. (I know a silly mistake since you’re supposed to wait 7 days after starting, but we are in a sitauation where we can support a baby if it happened). We also had unprotected sex on the 26th and he did NOT pull out. That was 6 days after starting BC. We had sex again on the 27th but we were protected at that point. My cycle has always been irregular, so I never know when I ovulate. I’ve just felt a little off lately (very painful gas pains, upset tummy, a few unbearable headaches, and I’ve felt a heaviness in my abdomen). I took a test even though it’s super early and it was of course negative. What’s everyone’s thoughts? I’m new to all of this!

Replies

• Options

Is it the first time you have taken the pill (or if you have been on it before have you had a long break) it could be your body getting used to it 

The pill works by stopping ovulation so if taken properly you shouldn't ovulate. If you are on one of the pills that you take a week's break from for a breakthrough bleed this isn't a proper period. 

There is a chance of pregnancy as you were in the unprotected window (had you taken the first pill on the first day of your period I think you are instantly covered)  but you would ideally need to wait 18 days after unprotected sex for any test to show up if you were pregnant.

See if your symptoms settle if you are new to the pill, but if they really disagree with you speak to your doctor to try a different type...remember any sickness or diarrhea  can affect your pills effectiveness top