Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ttc but can't have sex

Absolutely gutted this month, ladies. It's like my toddler can sense we're trying to conceive and suddenly does not sleep at all any more. I'm having every single sign of ovulation and we couldn't last night and haven't been able to today because he suddenly will not sleep. So sad that we might have to wait another month. Anyone have any good tips? We do it in a separate room ofc, when he goes down for the night or for a nap we use the baby monitors and try to sneak off quickly and quietly but he just wakes up all of a sudden and doesn't sleep through. I think he can sense it and doesn't want a sibling. Ah well.

Replies

• Is there a certain issue that is keeping him awake or is he just restless? Could you maybe get a babysitter for when you ov? Try insemination when u both can't get out of the room? I know, not the most romantic thing! 
  • It's that he falls asleep and then he immediately wakes up and starts to cry, so it's not even that we can leave him playing and go off into the next room. My husband just keeps saying, well it's not that bad, it'll probably happen, and I'm getting a little annoyed because he's not the one having to temp and check ovulation and CM and then go through the hell of the two week wait! 
  • Has he just started this recently? 
  • Yep, I'm wondering if he can sense it? I heard that sometimes when couples are trying to conceive sometimes the baby will want nursing a lot more because of some evolutionary thing where they don't want a sibling. I'm still breastfeeding but not so much these days as he is eating solid foods and drinking water, but yeah he's started to get extremely restless during my fertile window, so if it's not today (or tomorrow at a push), we're out for the month. My husband doesn't seem to understand that we have four days a month and if we can't manage it, then we've not been successful. It's so frustrating! 
  • Yep men can definitely be like that! My hubby is too relaxed about it sometimes. He is bewildered why i use opks etc but as i have told him we need to get the fertile days correct. Would u consider the insemination method if u were really stuck? 
  • I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if it would be as effective, how would I make sure it all gets close enough to the cervix? 
  • I've never used it myself but i am sure u can find info on it. Heard of women who have gotten pregnant by doing it. X
  • It might come to that. I've had lots and lots of EWCM today, I'm worried it's our last day to really try. The day is not out yet though! x
  • Exactly. Does he nap through the day? How old is he? Xx
  • We have something similar with our toddler, too! Luckily it's not ALL the time, so we have managed to try (unsuccessfully) each month this year. However, for a while there he would seemingly wake up the second we started going at it lol.

Do you have family or friends nearby that could watch him for a night or even a couple of hours? I know my MIL is super keen for us to add to our family, so I reckon she'd take him for the entire fertile window if it meant we were likely to get pregnant 😂