Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help

hey girls, i just wanted to reach out as I’m loosing my mind right now. I came off the pill in January, I had a period towards the end of Feb but haven’t had anything since. The last few weeks I’ve had twinges, cramps etc. This week especially I’ve had severe back pain and swollen tummy. I’ve done several pregnancy tests and I’m defiantly not pregnant. I’m so worried, is this normal when coming off the pill? 

Replies

• Your periods may be irregular when you first come off the pill, and you should allow up to 3 months for your natural menstrual cycle to fully re-establish itself.

This is because the pill contains the hormones that stop the release of an egg (ovulation) each month.

The first period after stopping the pill is known as a "withdrawal bleed". The next one after this is your first natural period. And first natural period can take a while to regulated. Some woman can get pregnant right away after taking the pill it can also take up to 6 months xx

• Thanks Rachel, this whole process is such a worry isn’t it. X