Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Almost 3 weeks late, very faint lines?

Hi all! I’m hoping someone could help? AF is currently almost 3 weeks late, I was due to start on 7th May (I track on an app) but there’s no sign of it starting. I’m normally pretty regular, my cycle is between 32 - 34 days.

Symptoms include nausea, fatigue, dizziness, headaches, mild cramping, stretching feeling in lower left side and behind bellybutton, acne (I’m usually fairly clear), bloated, gassy, insomnia, metallic taste, loss of appetite... I went to my doctor a few days ago and told him all my symptoms and he thinks I’m pregnant. Told me to test once a week until my 2nd AF is due and if it doesn’t show or the lines don’t get any darker then I should go back. Said a blood test wouldn’t really help at the minute. :neutral:

There is definitely a very faint line on all 4 of my tests, three pink dye ones and one blue dye. I took them 3 days apart. Has anyone ever got a positive result much later on or after getting negatives or faint lines? I’m so confused... I don’t want to get my hopes up for nothing :( any advice would be very much appreciated!

(I’d be roughly 7 weeks if I was. I’m 27 and need to find out as I have Hypothyroidism and need to keep an eye on my levels if so!)

Replies

• Anyone? :( I’ve posted this on 3 forums and not got a single response  :'(
  • I would have thought if you are 7 weeks, your line would be very dark. HOWEVER, I also know that sometimes the further you are along, the fainter the line can be due to the 'hook' effect. Perhaps dilute half your urine into water (half and half) and see if that comes up with a darker line?
  • lozzz said:
    I would have thought if you are 7 weeks, your line would be very dark. HOWEVER, I also know that sometimes the further you are along, the fainter the line can be due to the 'hook' effect. Perhaps dilute half your urine into water (half and half) and see if that comes up with a darker line?
    Never even thought of that, thank you! I’ll give it a try, thanks for the advice :)
  • Maybe try it with urine mid day after drinking a fair bit. If unsure though I would definitely get to the drs for a check up and bloods so they can best access what is happening. Best of luck. Xx
  • I would say thats positive as u can see a line and no period always a good indication xxx get a 6 weeks scan done they can see a heartbeat fetal pole and sack around that time x 
  • I would say thats positive as u can see a line and no period always a good indication xxx get a 6 weeks scan done they can see a heartbeat fetal pole and sack around that time x 
    Thank you :) I’m going to call for an appointment today I think, still nothing happening and still have all the symptoms, the suspense is killing me I just wanna know! X
  • I can see the faint lines! I would think it would be darker than those though at 7 weeks. keep testing with FMU xx
  • UPDATE - so I caved in and took two FR pink tests this morning, one with FMU and one that I had diluted (half FMU half water). I don’t think I can see anything on either of them :( I really am so confused and frustrated... Absolutely no sign of AF starting. I’m now 3 weeks 1 day late and my next AF would be due in roughly 10 days!

New symptom has popped up recently as well, I really can’t stand the smell / taste of certain foods. OH cooked lamb last night and I just wanted to puke, also can’t stand the smell of mint now 🤢 

I’m almost certain all 4 of my first tests had faint lines! I also have most of the telltale symptoms?! Is it possible for hcg levels to drop when you’re further along? I wouldn’t be any further than 9 weeks maximum. I don’t know what else this could be, I just want to know! Should I book a scan? I just don’t want to rock up to it and find out there’s nothing there, also worried it’s something a little more serious... :(
  • hey,

its all very strange as you said you have a lot of telltale symptoms. 
    do you have pics of the FR tests?
    what has drs said? have they offered a blood test?
  • U are defo pregnant with those symptons. Diluting the urine will only dilute the hormone. Ring doc tell him u are pregnant as those tests pisitibe plus no period is the biggest sign. They will book u the 8 weeks mudwife appointment and from then om the scan xxx
  • I’m going to book an appointment after work tomorrow I think, as if it’s something else it needs looking into. Doc said to wait until next AF is due to get any tests done but I don’t think I can wait that long! First test is one I took a few days ago, unbranded pink dye off eBay, the other two are this morning, I can just about see a faint line on the unbranded one but nothing on the FR ones? 

I feel pregnant if that makes sense, but at the same time I keep telling myself not to get my hopes up to save disappointment!

• I really don’t see any lines at all. 7 weeks along your HCG wouldn’t be too much for the hook effect to take place - that’s usually when women are 6/7 months gone. 

Im not saying you’re not pregnant (obviously I don’t know!) but a test certainly would show positive by now. You do have a lot of symptoms but that again doesn’t necessarily mean you’re defo pregnant - it could be other things. I’m 14 weeks and have had absolutely no symptoms from day 1 so sometimes they’re not so reliable.  

Hope this post isn’t too negative but I think a blood test is the only way you’ll know for sure.

Hope you get some answers soon x  
  • Whats hook effect?
  • The hook effect is when your HCG levels are too high for a test to detect; so the result comes back negative when in fact you could be about to pop the week later (pardon the phrase). It happens late in pregnancy - typically from 6 months onwards. 
  • Ah okay thanks