Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

TTC approaching 40

Hi, I’m 39 years old and I thought I would start a thread for ladies TTC who are a similar age! I’m part of a thread for TTC July/Aug but although all the ladies are wonderful and supportive, mostly they are younger so I feel I need to get to know more ladies closer to my age who may be experiencing problems TTC when older. It’s no secret that fertility declines rapidly over 35, as I’m sure everyone around my age has investigated!

Replies

• Hi, I am 36 and will soon be 37 TTC baby number 1.

I have PCOS and we are doing IUI with fertility drugs. What’s your TTC story? Xx
  • Hi, sorry for late reply! I’m 39, 40 in November, I have 4 children already (19,16,14 & 3) I thought I was done after 3 children, then I became desperate for another when my 3rd was about 4 and it took about 7 years to convince OH to let us have a fourth child! I came off BC when I was 35 in the September and became pregnant in my 2nd cycle when I had just turned 36. I honestly thought I was done at 4, but I’ve been desperate again for a last baby for the last 10 months. I had an early miscarriage last December and haven’t been able to conceive since. I know I should be more than grateful that I have 4 incredible children, but I feel heartbroken to think that I cannot conceive again, every month that goes by is another kick in the teeth. I have a friend who has PCOS, she is expecting her 6th child!!! Naturally!!!! Sometimes life is really unfair 😞xx
  • I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage, I had one too last October (the only time I have ever been pregnant). It is what it is for me. I think just have to keep trying and if its meant to be it will work. Yes, you are lucky with the four children you have already but that doesn't make my journey any worse than yours. We still both have the need for a baby and pregnancy and that's something we can both relate to regardless if I am on my first and you are on your fifth. 

I know people with PCOS who have gotten pregnant naturally and I know those who really struggle, some have been trying a lot longer than I have. Am staying positive for this next round of IUI. Hopefully the drugs work this time and we catch our little bean. Good luck for your fifth, are you using OPK's or temping or using anything like preseed? x
  • Hello I am 36 in October and ttc number one. We have been trying for a year now and had have had two early losses since January. 
    I had bloods done a few months ago that found my prolactin levels high but they have since lowered x
  • Hello Im 40 and ttc #2. Had two early miscarriages in a row this year. Dont want to give up just yet! X
  • Definitely don’t give up ladies! I’ve just had my rainbow baby nearly 4 weeks ago. I’m 38- it is my 3rd baby but I had them at 23 and 31 so quite a bit younger. 

I lost 2 babies last year at 20/21 weeks and 11 weeks pregnant. Totally heartbreaking but my new baby has been worth the wait- She’s gorgeous.xxx
  • Hi I’m 38 and trying for baby number 5, I have a 19,18,14,2 yr old. The first 3 are from my first (very young) partner and the 2yr old is with husband now , and he is the one who would like 1 more child lol I can’t wait it’s so exciting. But I do wonder if my body can handle another go. I’m temperature testing opks n cm 😬😬, so good to see more older mums doesn’t feel so lonely now.