Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Short Cycle - when to test?

Hi all, although I’m almost certain I’m out this month (think I missed ovulation) I’m wondering when I should take a test. 
Im on my 4th cycle of trying and my cycles range from 21 to 26 days. I think I ovulate quite late CD15-17 so would testing on CD25 be too early? Would I need to wait until 28 days? 
As I said, I’m sure I’m out but I can hope 😊

Replies

• Hi, if u ovulate that late ur cycle can't be short this time. Luteal phase is always the same ranging from 11-17 days depending on a person. If you know when u ovulate and u know the length of ur lp then u add it to ov date and then it's ur af due and the best time to test. If you don't know your lp length then assume standard 14days average until you find out. So you track your ov in any way? If u ovulated at CD 15-17 and u got short lp let's say 12 days then u should test at CD 27-29. Testing early is stressful as faint lines leave u in doubt and if u have chemical then u will know you so and that's devastating. I will keep my fingers crossed for you
  • MadDoda said:
    Hi, if u ovulate that late ur cycle can't be short this time. Luteal phase is always the same ranging from 11-17 days depending on a person. If you know when u ovulate and u know the length of ur lp then u add it to ov date and then it's ur af due and the best time to test. If you don't know your lp length then assume standard 14days average until you find out. So you track your ov in any way? If u ovulated at CD 15-17 and u got short lp let's say 12 days then u should test at CD 27-29. Testing early is stressful as faint lines leave u in doubt and if u have chemical then u will know you so and that's devastating. I will keep my fingers crossed for you
    Thanks for replying, I use opk strips and I get EWCM so I’m almost certain when I ovulate.
    I have done some reading up on short luteal phases since I posted and if it carries on I’ll see my GP. 
    Ive had cramps yesterday and today which I’m praying are implantation but could just be my period coming early again 😞
  • Hi JLH, my question is the same... I’m a 23 day cycle and I use sticks to check ovulation. The problem is, my period is due tomorrow (day 23) ovulation was day 14, which means today is only 9 days post ovulation and “too early to test”. 

As far as I have read it doesn’t matter on the length of your cycle, it goes by days post ovulation which pretty much means we can’t test accurately pre-period? 
  • @LV1988 9 days lp is very short, u should look into it coz lp should be at least 11days as it may decrease ur chances for successful implantation which can occur up to 12dpo. Pregnancy tests are estimated for 14days lp, so with 9dpo u are 6 days before day of ur missed period and first day frer is suggested to be uses. I hope u will get ur bfp , gl
  • MadDoda said:
    @LV1988 9 days lp is very short, u should look into it coz lp should be at least 11days as it may decrease ur chances for successful implantation which can occur up to 12dpo. Pregnancy tests are estimated for 14days lp, so with 9dpo u are 6 days before day of ur missed period and first day frer is suggested to be uses. I hope u will get ur bfp , gl
    Thanks MD, I’ve had things checked before when my cycle became shorter. Ultrasounds and hormonal checks. The Drs all said that there was no cause for concern and that everything looked fine (ie - eggs there, ovulating correctly). They did say a cycle can be anywhere between 22-30 days. But yes, reading that a short cycle = increased difficulty.

re: tests, that’s exactly what I mean! It’s as though I could never really do a test pre-period because It’s always too early.. argh!

• I assume u had progesterone checked too. That's a relief that everything is OK, I'm glad! Fingers crossed for bfp then. I think if u wait and test on day of ur period or after will give u result it u will get af. U ofc can test earlier but chances for false negative are high but she's if it's worth it. 
  • Yep! Progesterone checked too :) 
  • OMG so many typos sorry. "...or u will get af" and "...so it's not worth it"