Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

New to TTC — advice?

edited Sep 30, 2019 12:03AM in Trying to conceive
Hello! I’m very new to this process & forum! 
I’ve had the Mirena IUD for a total of 8 years, and stopped getting my period altogether for the past 3 years. After making the decision that we would like to start trying (I’m 27), I had the Mirena removed 8/16/19. My first cycle started 9/7/2019. Based on EWCM, I ovulated around the 25th, but I’m not exactly sure and the EWCM lasted for about three days. We did the BD once during that three day period, so now I’m supposedly in the 2ww. However, I have no idea how long my natural cycle is, so I don’t know how long I’ll be waiting! I was never aware of body changes, cm, or anything reproductive related until I started reading about it in August.

I’m excited that we’re starting to try for our baby, but I’m also realistically pessimistic that this first try was not successful and I anticipate that we will have to try for a while.

So I guess I have a few questions about this TTC process. 
1. For other women on Mirena or similar hormonal BC, especially if you stopped getting your period, how soon after you stopped did you start ovulating and/or conceive? 
2. How long did you TTC before you introduced tracking your temperature or using OPKs or other forms of planning?
3. Has anything helped you remain positive/hopeful through the many months of TTC? I’m assuming the excitement of trying ends quickly after a few cycles of AF...
4. As someone who is TTC for the first time, is there anything else I should know or be prepared for?

Replies

• Options
    It took me about 18 days to ovulate after my withdrawal bleed from my BC

I tried for 2 cycles before I introduced BBT, which I recommend as I got my BFP the month I introduced it. I also used OPKs all 3 months

What helped me remain hopeful was the forum I’m on. Its called “hoping for a BFP in October - part 1”. The ladies in that group are very supportive. it’s also important to keep yourself busy during the wait 

My biggest piece of advice would be to ignore ALL symptoms. All symptoms are the same for ovulation, pregnancy, and period, so you will drive yourself crazy if you focus on symptoms. This past cycle, I dismissed any symptom I was feeling so I didn’t get my hopes up. I felt everything in the book my first month TTC and my period came, so I promised myself I would ignore symptoms. I also introduced Preseed this cycle when I got my BFP. It’s a lubricant that helps sperm get where they need to go easier 
  • Options
    like @Rachel.a21 said, what keeps me going alot is the forum "hoping for a BFP in october - part 1"....the women on here have helped me so much ....i actually started this months and everyone from the september one jumped over n it made me feel so much love n support...heres the link for you 

https://forum.madeformums.com/trying-to-conceive/543939-hoping-for-a-bfp-in-october-part-1.html#latest
  • Options
    @Rachel.a21 and @Catlady220 Thanks for your feedback and suggestion and invitation to the other group! I like the advice to ignore symptoms and not read into anything too much. 
    @Rachel.a21 Congratulations on your bfp! I'm excited to know that conception can happen so soon after stopping BC.
  • Options
    @apalm Thank you!! I didn’t think it would happen that quickly either 
  • Options
    @apalm I too had the mirena coil- for 13 years, never had any periods in the time and had 3 coils in the 13years. My coil was removed 5th July and means my husband started on the pregnacare conceive vitamins that day, I had my first period 4th August- I thought it was never going to come and it only lasted 3-4 days. That was it I then fell pregnant that month!! Got my bfp 8dpo on 27th aug. I’m now 8w1d, I though it was going to take a while as I suspected I’d have a thin lining after 13yrs mirena and a very light period! 
    So don’t worry your fertility can come back pretty quick post mirena!! Good luck xx
  • Options
    @MrsH02 omg, congratulations! That’s so exciting, and also very reassuring! 
  • Options
    Well, I’m super happy to share that it happened during my first cycle after the IUD!!! I’m just shy of 5 weeks, and my fingers are crossed that it’s a sticky, gluey, baby! Thank you both for your encouragement :)
  • Options
    That’s actually amazing- congratulations.xxx
  • Options
    @EmJ3 Thank you!!!