Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can hot yoga affect you when TTC?

idathidath Regular
edited Oct 8, 2019 10:22AM in Trying to conceive
I discovered hot yoga a month and a half ago and have been going regularly, and I've been feeling so much better, normally I get very depressed in the autumn/winter and the hot yoga has really helped, and it's also helped me a lot with my back problems - anyway, starting this cycle, I'm TTC and I only just found out that the heat in the hotyoga pod can affect your chances of conceiving??

I know there's no conclusive evidence for this because there hasn't been any proper scientific studies, but does anyone have any actual experience with doing hot yoga/bikram whilst TTC (with negative or positive results)?

I'm 4 DPO today, and did hot yoga last night, so if it had an effect it's already too late for this cycle - but figured it would be good to know for next month! 

Replies

• High temperatures of ur body core can affect neural tube development in developing embryo. It is extremely dangerous in first weeks of pregnancy. I have no idea how hot yoga works, but if there is a chance it rises ur body core temperature above 38-39 degree celsius, I would avoid it.
  • @MadDoda okay, yeah it definitely does - you do yoga in a humid 37 degrees pod. But I thought it was just in early (or all) pregnancy, I didn't know it could affect actually getting pregnant in the first place! I've been looking around and there seems to be few studies on it, yet most women seem to be told by their healthcare professionals to avoid it, as hot baths and saunas. I think I'm going to make an appointment with my GP and ask. If there's no real risk I want to keep doing it until I get pregnant and then stop.
  • 37 degrees isn't high, it should cause any trouble. The thing is with getting pregnant us that before embryo implants it is in ur body developing and it's affected by the temperature. Prolonged high temps can cause problems with cell divisions differentiation and neural tube development. 37 isn't a high temp.
  • @idath
    i had similar concern. i use to go to 42 studio(hot yoga at 42deg) . it felt really great but i always feared so i replace it with gym and gym related classes(zumba, HIIT and strength training)
    But my cousin went to hot yoga until she came to know she is pregnant at 6 weeks and then left it. Now she has given birth to a healthy baby boy. But as every women is different its better you check with consultant.
  • @MadDoda @KiaraJ
    Okay, well that's reassuring! I do think it's affected my bbt though, because my chart started looking different when I started doing it regularly. I've read articles saying yoga is good in pregnancy, but not in hotpods. But yes, I think I'll ask my GP about it!
  • please let me know what the gp say
  • @KiaraJ I was logging in to post exactly that - had an appointment with my GP today, and he said that 37 degrees is borderline (apparently when it comes to baths/hot tubs the cut off point is 36 degrees in pregnancy) and he said that the 37 degrees temperature and humidity in combination with exercise was inadvisable and recommended yoga in room temperature whilst TTC/pregnant! So I'm looking for a new yoga studio near me right now
  • hmm @idath thanks alot dear. i left yoga in august and now enrolled myself in gym. But i always had a thought whether i was right or not, thanks for confirming for me.
  • @KiaraJ no problem, I think yoga and exercise is good for TTC and during pregnancy, it's just the temperature of hot baths and hot yoga that raises your body temperature that's risky apparently