Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

TTC Baby #1

Hey. I'm Emma and all new to this forum and TTC.

I have been on the pill for 10 years and me and my husband decided we would start TTC. I came off the pill on (finished my last packet) on 20/12 and then had my period from 21/12 to 26/12. I've had no withdrawal bleed. Both me and my husband have DTD 4 times since, some of them times have been during the low chance to get pregnant or chance to get pregnant. It says on my app that my actual OV day is tomorrow 3/1. All day today I've been getting stomach cramps and slight DC. I have felt a bit nauseous too.

Only thing confusing me is that i took a OPK today a strip one and a digital one and both come back negative. I thought that seeing as I am meant to OV tomorrow the line would be pretty clear.

does that mean I'm not OV this month?
is it bad that I didnt have a withdrawal bleed?
is there a chance I will be pregnant?

please help and rest my mind at ease

thanks Emma

Replies

• Options
    Hey, I would definitely give your body at least one full cycle to get back on track. You may be lucky and your body gets right back to normal. I’m 12 months off the pill and I’m still not back to normal. Please try and relax. Next cycle start tracking your ovulation using opks and then you can see when you ovulate as women do vary. I ovulate later than most with a shorter luteal phase. xx
  • Options
    Thank you. 

is that why even though my app says I am due to OV tomorrow I probably wont??

i have been taking OV tests and its negative or the digital one is a blank circle which means low.

I think I'm just worrying a bit as I'm all new to it. 

thank you x

• Options
    Also I don’t think everybody gets a withdrawal bleed so no need to stress.  :) x
  • Options
    Oh right that's good then. everyone I have spoke to has, so I wondered why I didnt.

my next period I think is due 18th Jan is it most likely to be late as this will be 1st one off the pill x
  • Options
    SunshineBSunshineB Regular
    edited Jan 2, 2020 10:28PM
    Hey! Your first bleed is classed as a withdrawal bleed so when tracking things in app it's not recommended to track your first bleed after coming off the pill. I started bleeding slightly on monday and finished my pill the same day and I'm still slightly bleeding today.
    Until you have your first period it will be hard to track ovulation as you don't know what cycle day you are on. Also, using OPKs doesn't confirm ovulation.  They just confirm the rise in the hormone needed to release the egg. You can confirm ovulation by tracking your BBT (Basel body temperature). I've just bought a thermometer so I can do this:)

You could be pregnant as some people can fall pregnant right after stopping bc. However,  with the dates you have suggested, IF you had a normal period, you would be cycle day 13 so probably wouldn't have ovulated so would be unlikely to be pregnant. 

I've learnt a lot already by being part of these forum and there's so lovely and very helpful ladies around x

• Options
    Emma63 said:
    Thank you. 

is that why even though my app says I am due to OV tomorrow I probably wont??

i have been taking OV tests and its negative or the digital one is a blank circle which means low.

I think I'm just worrying a bit as I'm all new to it. 

thank you x

No worries I know it’s daunting at first but honestly I’d say give your body one full cycle off of the pill with regards to ovulating - the apps took 5 months to get my ovulation prediction right and sometimes it’s a day or so out. It’s very soon for you so please don’t worry. Xx
  • Options
    @MadDoda is a fountain of knowledge with all things ttc and especially BBT! If I'm not right in what I have said, she will certainly know and advise :) She has been amazing and so helpful.
  • Options
    Hello SunshineB. 

I have had a period but it was a period where I would of been on my pill break if that makes sense, then would of finished period then gone back on pill.

so do you mean... I shouldn't track that period. yes that's right my app states tomorrow would be cycle day 14 and meant to aparantly be OV day. 

what do you do with a BBT?? 

thank you for advice xx
  • Options
    MadDodaMadDoda Regular
    edited Jan 2, 2020 10:31PM
    After bc ur cycle will be a mess sometimes few cycles sometimes months, no app can guess ur ov (yes apps are guessing and are mostly wrong) doing opk is wise, just keep doing it every day and regular bd and you will ovulate sooner or later. Good luck to you. 
  • Options
    @Rachel.a21 is a lovely lady who had some experience with ttc after bc. (hope ur OK hun)
  • Options
    @SunshineB. I have just bought a thermometer too as I haven’t tracked my bbt before. Do you know when I should start? I am on cycle day 9 and only just finished AF x
  • Options
    @RayleighGirl2015 asap, sooner u start more data u get. 
  • Options
    @Emma63 any "period" while on the pill is not a normal period. I never knew this until I started reading into it! It's just a bleed due to the drop in hormones as you aren't taken that pill for that week. Even on the mini pill you can have break through bleeding. It's best to ignore your first bleed and wait for your period to return as normal and then start tracking. It took 6 weeks for me last time so I'm hoping it will be the same. Once you get that period back, start tracking and then once you have had your first cycle, and BD a lot lol, if you haven't managed to conceive,  you can start using OPKS as you will know your fill cycle length and should have an indication as to what cycle day to start using the sticks.
    You need a thermometer to track BBT and you put it under your tongue and input the temp reading into an app called Fertility Friend. It should mark when you have ovulated based on seeing a rise in your temp. So use this along with OPKs.
    It will be my first time tracking BBT so I'm all new to that bit too.x
  • Options
    @RayleighGirl2015 like @MadDoda suggest just start now. I've just had my withdrawal bleed so I'm starting now, as my thermometer arrived today. Although I'm going to hold off ttc till period comes back normally x
  • Options
    Thanks @MadDoda and @SunshineB x
  • Options
    You can measure vaginally or orally, just make sure it's under tongue with mouth closed. Your welcome. I'm around to help with chart if u need 
  • Options
    MadDoda said:
    You can measure vaginally or orally, just make sure it's under tongue with mouth closed. Your welcome. I'm around to help with chart if u need 
    Thanks il probs have to take you up on that! 
  • Options
    No worries I tend to get a lot of msgs with charts haha. 
  • Options
    @SunshineB what thermometer did you buy. there are loads that are connected to femometer?? xx
  • Options
    @RayleighGirl2015 BTW u said ur very irregular. With bbt no matter how long and messed up ur cycle is, u will know when and if u ovulate, and when u know that u will know when ur period will be due very precisely. It's perfect method for irregulars. My cycle is of different length each time and I ov at different day each cycle too. I always know and I have very high success rate. So it's Smth u need for sure!