Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Coming off contraceptive pill and ttc baby #1!

Replies

• Well ladies how are we all? Its nearly Friday and I'm very relieved to say the least. Also af came swooping in on her broom today so although I am in cramping hell, I couldn't be happier 😊 been waiting 46 days for that aul witch...! 
  • @cheesecoleslaw86 hey hun! Aww I'm glad AF finally came! Are you going to be using OPKs or BBT for your next cycle?

I'm ok thank you. Still riding the hormone train and waiting for AF to return lol I haven't ovulated according to my BBT yet so no AF until I do by the looks of it x
  • Definitely going to be using OPKs and bbt this next cycle. When I put details into FF app it predicted that if I had a similar cycle to last one my next af wouldn't be until 16th March. I know my cycle will prob be shorter (at least I hope so) but incase it isn't I need to do everything I can as it's a long wait 😂

Dear help you riding that hormone train still. It's minus craic! Are u using OPKs and bbt to track when ov is? So rubbish that you haven't ov'd yet. Hopefully it happens soon! At least it's nearly the wkend 😊
  • Don't worry ff will adjust according to data u input. It's a very good app. 
  • Hope you're all ok ladies! The only thing I found with OPKs was it added unnecessary stress.. you can often read them wrong and stress rejects sperm. I used OPKs and BBT and then just BBT on the cycle I conceived x
  • @cheesecoleslaw86 I'm just doing BBT atm as until AF comes back, I don't know where I am in my cycle and I really don't want to bother with OPK everyday.

Yeah @SecondDueFebruary2020 I think that's the approach we are going to take from next month, just BBT and see what happens. If I don't catch on before AF comes back, which I don't think i will, at least I'll have more data in my chart. If it starts to take a few more months I'll prob use OPKs again. As the first month I tried them last year was the month we conceived.x
  • Thanks @SecondDueFebruary2020 that's good to know. It would seem that bbt is most reliable way. How do you know ovulation is coming up though? I know there is a dip and then 3 consecutive highs after which says shows you have but how can you determine when it's going to be so you can make sure you have bd before it?

@SunshineB hopefully as you have experience of bbt you will be able to get into the swing of predicting ov pretty quick. And the last time you came off pill things regulated pretty quickly so hopefully same happens. I found having lots of baths and trying to practice some mindfulness chilled me out a bit and helped things along. It's hard not to obsess though. I'm a v impatient person at times, I'm sure that shocks you... 😂🤣😅
  • Thanks @SecondDueFebruary2020 that's good to know. It would seem that bbt is most reliable way. How do you know ovulation is coming up though? I know there is a dip and then 3 consecutive highs after which says shows you have but how can you determine when it's going to be so you can make sure you have bd before it?

@SunshineB hopefully as you have experience of bbt you will be able to get into the swing of predicting ov pretty quick. And the last time you came off pill things regulated pretty quickly so hopefully same happens. I found having lots of baths and trying to practice some mindfulness chilled me out a bit and helped things along. It's hard not to obsess though. I'm a v impatient person at times, I'm sure that shocks you... 😂🤣😅
    Unfortunately not I'm afraid. BBT only indicates when ovulation has happened.. I believe OV sticks can help to determine it but I'd just be aware that ovulation can gear up to happen and then go away again for whatever reason, usually stress. So you may think you've caught it when it's just playing tricks on you x
  • I totally disagree, u can predict ovulation with bbt but u need lots of days. I can predict my ov just from chart. But not everyone is lucky to get a distinction. But ofc at the beginning it's impossible to if u don't want to use opk, I never used a single one, then u gotta bd a lot. X
  • You can use it to "predict" ovulation but it's not a very reliable one due to other things such as stress. You may think day 15 you will ovulate but in reality you may not even ovulate that month. It is only a reliable thing if your cycle is regular.. these ladies are just coming off the pill which usually means irregular periods - I've been there having cycles of 56, 40+ days and so on. So I wouldn't advise them to look at a pattern to predict it.. I would say BD as often as you can when you think you're mid cycle.. then just watch for when ov has happened :) 
  • Obviously I wouldn't advise them either, that's why I said it's only if u have a lot data and experience and luck to have distinctions. My cycle isn't regular, it's different every month because of my miscarriages, I get two distinct peaks at 97.3 each cycle before ovulation, always ovulate straight after them, obviously there is a chance that pattern will break as it happened once,  coz mc is unpredictable, but that's why I bd a lot. It's tough with long cycles tho, that's why I told them to use opk with bbt to maximise chances. Bbt is great, that's for sure. 
  • Thanks ladies. Think I will use bbt and OPKs just to be sure and bd every other day and just see how I go. Right now I have horrifc cramps but I am just to pleased to see af I don't care 😂

Hope you are both keeping well and happy Friday to you x
  • @Emma63 how are you getting on? 
  • hey @cheesecoleslaw86

had a 4 day period on 20th and now on CD11. took an opk today came up with a blinky smiley face yet also took a strip opk and it was negative with a real faint line. Had a little bit of EWCM the other day but that is it

so no 100% sure just hoping I havent missed my chances. shall I DTD tobigh 
  • SunshineBSunshineB Regular
    edited Jan 31, 2020 11:08PM
    I feel your pain @cheesecoleslaw86 lol I'm am impatient person too! My temp has gone up twice, yesterday and today, so I'm hoping that it goes up tomorrow to show that I ovulated a few days ago. Then AF will be on her way! 

@Emma63 I think a blinking smiley means you are in your fertile window. Some CB tests detect a 4 day window where as some just do a 2 days. The ones I have used just show a 2 day and I never had a blinking one as when I got a high reading on an OPK stick , I used the CB to confirm and it was a static smiley. I would BD tonight still and then see what your CB test shows tomorrow x
  • @SunshineB I have the CB one that detects the LSH surge I think it is and the estrogen or something. 

I also use one step strip OPK and like I said they were showing up very faint lines, even though my CB was showing me a blinking face. I think I'll do the BD tonight then test with the CB again tomorrow, can I still get pregnant if I was to BD tonight?? 
  • It just all depends when you are going to ovulate. If the CB are blinking, I think those could be the 4 day window ones. So just BD and then keep using your OPKs till you get a positive. If the test is right, and you do ovulate in 4ish days, there is every chance you can get pregnant, but the closer to ovulation you BD, the better chances you have.x
  • so I need to BD dance either every night for the next 4 days or more or every other day Haha 

I still cant work out all my OV etc as only had 1 normal period etc so dont exactly know what my cycle is etc or what day I OV on etc so confusing xx
  • It's ok, if you don't fall PG this will help you get an indication where you firecracker window could be. I would BD tonight, then Sunday night . They say every other day is better to let the sperm build back up lol.
    See what your OPK shows tomorrow. You can download an app called Premom and take pictures of them and it gives you readings based on the lines. Its very clever x

This discussion has been closed.