Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does age really matter to anyone? Age gap between children

edited Feb 19, 2020 10:23AM in Trying to conceive
My daughter will be 2 in november and here lately my husband and I have been talking about another baby but I'm anxious about what the gap will be between them. I really think its not too close or too far in age not too bad. 

Replies

• Options
    My son is 8 and I am pregnant with my second. 2-3 year gap is not big to me
  • Options
    For me there were 2 things to take into account. (This is of course, in an ideal world, where everything turns out as you want it)

What age will the eldest child be easy enough to mind, so that it's not too much hard work to mind 2.

Not too big  of an age gap so that hopefully they can play together, and hang out together when they get older.

I have 2 children, and in my head, I wanted to have the second child when the eldest was 3. I just thought that by 3 he would be able to talk and I'd be able to tell him that I need to feed the baby, or hold the baby etc, and that he would have some sort of understanding, and allow me to do this without getting jealous, etc.

We started trying for a baby before he turned 2, as wasn't sure how long it would take. Had 2nd baby when he was 2 and 3/4. And for us, it's working out great.  Baby is 2 months now. There's no jealousy (we might be lucky on this point) and I find it no harder really looking after 2 than looking after 1. I can tell the eldest that i need 5 mins to do something, and most of the time, he's ok with that. 

There are loads of families where there's very little age gap between siblings, like less than a year, and they cope. But personally, I always felt like I would not cope with such a close age gap, too much work. But that's just me!! 

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide X 
  • Options
    There are just below 2.5 years between my two and it's a lovely gap, they play together really nicely and have very similar interests so it's easy organising day trips or activities that they both like x