Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Getting pregnant straight after having my first baby

SheyChanelSheyChanel Regular
edited Mar 9, 2020 5:01PM in Trying to conceive
Hey,
So I have my first child who is 12weeks old. I am not planning on going on any contraception as I want to have another baby really as soon as. I know some may say it’s too soon but I just want to have my kids really close. 
How long really can it take for my period to start. Does breastfeeding cause any delay? 
Has anyone got pregnant whilst the other baby is under six months old? 

Help please :)

Replies

• I don’t have experience with this as my children will be 8 years apart, but I have read that breastfeeding does greatly affect how soon you will start ovulating again
  • If you are exclusively breastfeeding then this can delay your ovulation. However, once the baby starts feeding less frequently / sleeping through the night you are more likely to begin ovulating again. 

If you are exclusively breastfeeding the estimated effectiveness as a contraceptive is 98% https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/natural-family-planning/#lactational-amenorrhoea-method-lam

But I know quite a lot of people who fell pregnant whilst breastfeeding so I find that figure of 2 in 100 hard to believe.

With respect to having babies close together - ignore anyone who has an opinion. It's up to you what age gap you feel is right for you. However, do make sure you're aware of the health risks associated with a short gap between pregnancies. 

Good luck with everything.  :)
  • Alright, thanks Rachel 😊
  • @Curiosity101 thank you so much, I’ve been so lucky my son sleeps through the night which is so good and hopefully that should also help with my ovulation I guess. 

Oh yes you are right I’ll definitely focus on me and what I want that’s what should matter after all. Thank you