Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Seeking education!! Reply’s are so appreciated!

Currently TTC, held off with all the virus craziness going on, but I was hoping anyone could tell me considering their may be a chance? 

If I have a 28 day cycle, I’m reading everywhere that you ovulate on day 14, then other people say statistics show a very low percentage of women actually ovulate exactly on CD14. THEN I read you count back 14 days from your next period which would really be CD15. So my question is, without truly knowing when you ovulate in those 2 days, is it possible to conceive on day 16 first thing in the morning? Is their a time that ovulation starts and ends? Because that would make a huge difference in missing a window if an egg only lasts for 24 hours. 

Thanks for your patience! I hope I’m making sense

Replies

• Options
    Your fertile window is the 4-5 days before ovulation, the day of ovulation, and the day after. You really have more of a chance of conceiving if sperm is already waiting when the egg releases. The best way to maximize chances is by using ovulation kits or tracking BBT to really pinpoint your ovulation and fertile window ☺️
  • Options
    Thank you so much! So there could still be a chance!? 😆
  • Options
    Yes there can be, but apps are just estimates so it’s not the best to go on. Once I started using ovulation kits, I found out I ovulated 9 days later than the average day 14
  • Options
    So you must have a very long cycle then? Because I’ve read you need at least 10 days in your Luteal phase to allow for implantation? Also do you know of any signs or symptoms of ovulation? I’ll have to look into the kits, would I have to wait until next month to use one if I’m expecting my period in 9 days? 
  • Options
    Sorry so many questions! I’ve only heard of BBT also, could you provide me with a resource to read up on how that all works? 
  • Options
    My cycles were 34 days after I stopped my birth control. I know some people get side twinges around ovulation, I never have but I know it can be quite common. Egg white mucus is present in your fertile window, but it isn’t a good indication on when ovulation is actually happening. I always used one OPK per day and logged them into an app called Premom. Even with period starting, it helps so the app has more data 🙂 and it’s no problem! BBT is basal body temperature. You can get a thermometer on amazon and you take your temp every morning (around the same time) as soon as you wake up before moving around or getting up. Then, you log your temps into an app like fertility friend and it will confirm ovulation. Until you track for a few months, you can’t predict ovulation with BBT, but I used the OPKs to know when I was about to ovulate and then my BBT confirmed that I actually ovulated 
  • Options
    Hi Rachel, sorry to bother. I’m expecting AF tomorrow with A normally very regular 28 day cycle. If I took a FRER this AM with FMU and it was negative, is that generally accurate? Feeling bummed but looking for hope I guess. All the thanks -Amy
  • Options
    There is still hope if AF hasn’t arrived! I would wait 2 days and retest if she doesn’t show. Fingers crossed
  • Options
    Rachel! AF never showed today 😁 however tests are still negative. In your experience, how common is it for someone who is normally very regular to get a negative result but still end up with their BFP later? 
  • Options
    @Amy3909, if you’re due today, you’re not even ‘late’ yet (7 days is considered ‘officially’ late!), so don’t give up hope!  You just may not have enough hCG in your system for even the sensitive ‘early’ tests to pick up on.  In rare cases, some poor women get false negatives for up to 2 weeks before finally getting their BFP!

Here’s a good article about missed periods but negative HPT:
    https://www.verywellfamily.com/missed-period-but-negative-pregnancy-test-1959885

Quote taken from linked article:
    ‘A very rare cause of a false negative is if the hCG hormone in your body doesn't react with the anti-hCG chemicals in the pregnancy test. If this is the problem, you may need to wait a few more days before you can get a positive result. Or, you may need to have a blood test.’

All you can do is keep testing at this point. Good luck! X

• Options
    @Amy3909 It’s very possible! I was 4-5 days late with my son before getting a positive. And the day before, I had gotten 2 negatives 
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!