Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Anyone Else Putting TTC on Hold with Coronavirus?

I know this has been posted once awhile back, but with everything going on right now, I just wanted to vent/talk and see if anyone else is in the same boat. My husband and I have been TTC since February of last year (2019). We miscarried early on last fall, which only served to magnify the emotional struggle we were going through. After being tested thoroughly, I finally received Clomid from my doctor last February, but then this coronavirus situation hit and my grandpa, whom I was close with, died (not because of the virus), and I was too devastated to go on the Clomid this cycle so we decided to hold off. We aren't using protection, but my depression and anxiety have been acting up, so we haven't really been trying actively right now, so I will be shocked if I got pregnant because I really didn't care to try this time around, which was odd considering I was so consumed with it for 13 months. I am considering trying the Clomid again when AF arrives in April, but people have been hitting me with advice not to considering the sad sorry state of the world. Is anyone else fighting this internal battle? Is anyone else putting TTC on hold because of it? Financially we are both safe because I am teaching online and he is emergency dispatch, but I do worry that one of us could get it. I guess I just want to hear what other people have been thinking or doing about it during this time. I hate to bring it up and cause anyone to be upset further, but I feel like this is a safe place to hear other people's thoughts and experiences. 

Replies

• Only you know what is right for you at this time.  Personally, I didn’t think twice about it, I am going to keep TTC.  But I really don’t have time to spare, and I’m unlikely to be successful even with the best will in the world.  (I suffer from secondary infertility, old age (I’m 42) and recurrent miscarriages.  My chances of actually falling pregnant are pitifully low (3% or less)... oh gosh, when I type it out like that I really do wonder why I’m still trying!)  

But yes, circumstances are different for everyone.  But, I suspect, if you did happen to fall pregnant during this time, that you’d take the recommended precautions very seriously and keep yourself and your unborn baby safe.  

Perhaps, if you are really conflicted, just take it month by month and see how it goes.  No one really knows how long we will be in lockdown for, so it’s very difficult to make any plans for the coming year.  Good luck with whatever you decide, but rest assured it is the right thing for you.  X
  • My husband and I had a long discussion about this and whether continuing to try was a good idea or not. We are both key workers therefore at a higher risk of catching the virus. So we decided to stop after a discussion with my doctor and her reassuring me it was the right decision.
     Of course there were other factors we took into consideration. For example we are both young (mid twenties) and therefore have plenty of time ahead of us.
     This would also be our first baby, therefore we are looking forward to the entire experience of pregnancy and having a baby. We felt that with the restrictions in place at the moment, we would not be able to enjoy the experience in the way we would like to, including the fact that my husband would not be able to be present for any of the appointments or scans.
    We also considered that this baby would be a big deal within the family and our family would not be able to be around us to help us celebrate in the way we all want.

We felt that if we continued to try and were successful in getting pregnant during this pandemic, there would be multiple people heartbroken about the experience. 

The decision is everyone's own personal choice and there is no wrong decision. Just make sure you have weighed up all the options and the decision is right for you.

I hope this helps
    X