Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Is this a chemical pregnancy or could I still be pregnant? Advice please...

Hi, I'm new here, I've been lurking for a bit but now I really have no idea what's going on with my insides and need some help! I'm 38 and two days ago I had faint positives on cheap tests, then bought FRER and had another 2 faint positives, all pink and within time frame and other half agreed. I decided to wait a couple of days and test again, all coming out negative. Sorry if this is TMI, but if this was a loss, shouldn't my period have started properly by now? I've had mild cramping and pinky/brown spotting for the past 24 hrs, I keep expecting the floodgates to open as usual with my period (or what I would expect from reading about chemical pregnancies...), but it's stayed just as spotting which is really unusual for me. Basically I have no idea where I am and am going out of my mind! Is this a chemical but the bleeding just takes longer to start? Or could I still be pregnant? Or just false positives and now a weird late period? I don't have any kids yet and have only just started trying, so all this is very new to me... if anyone has any pearls of wisdom they would be greatly appreciated xxx

Replies

• I've not experienced this myself but I have seen a lot of threads that ended in chemical pregnancies. 

I'm afraid to say that my gut feeling, based on what you've described, is that it is a chemical pregnancy. I would expect the bleeding to ramp up over the next 24-48 hours but that's a guess based on what I've seen others say. 

Hopefully, I'm wrong, but my main advice is to look after yourself and give it a few days. If you have any worrying symptoms then speak to a doctor, but if not then see how things go. If the bleeding settles then I'd recommend retesting in a few days' time. If the bleeding gets worse then you could do another test once it finishes if you wanted to be sure. 
  • thanks for your reply :) the waiting part is a nightmare I just wish there was some instant definite answer to stop me from going mad and googling all my symptoms..... I think you're probably right tho, thanks for your help
  • I can imagine the waiting is horrible. I think the whole TTC/Pregnancy journey is just one big horrible waiting game if I'm honest.

I hope everything resolves for you quickly.  :)

• i've only just started the journey and i'm already regretting testing early tbh! next time i might just save myself the stress and and just wait until after my period is due, i'd like to pretend I could put it out of my mind until then but lets see... :)
  • Hi, with all my losses I didn't just have faint line. I had faint line getting a bit darker, I could see improvement over couple days, then it was starting the disappear and as soon as it went negative I had massive cramps and bleed. 

If u just had faint line without any improvement and now just spotting, I found it's early mc. But if ur tests shown improvement then spotting maybe a start of bleed of early mc. Unfortunately tests are bad this days, most of them show coloured indents occasionally, without seeing line progression it's impossible to be sure if ur pregnant.
  • just to add, only once I bled first before getting negative test, but it never came with delay after test going negative. First spotting then strong cramps and solid bleed the latest next day. 
  • no the faint line never got any darker, it was definite but never got darker! it's just weird expecting a big bleed to start but it's taking its time coming and now I'm questioning everything... and thank you for sharing your experiences i really appreciate it :)
  • Do u have pictures of those tests? To be honest I wish from depth of my heart it's not an mc. It's better not to experience it... Every time it kills a bit of ur soul. 
  • unfortunately not... i did try but my phone camera is rubbish and it just wouldn't focus properly. i hope so too but i feel in a kind of anxious limbo at the moment until i know for sure! thanks for your kind words, it sounds like you've had a hard time of it and i'm sorry you've gone through this a lot, so it's lovely of you to help me :)
  • I hope u will have some answers soon and will be able to move on. It is hard to honestly it's best if it wasn't the case for u, I was pregnant 7 times, got one child (2nd pregnancy) and one tube. Given up on second.