Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Abnormal sperm - How often to BD?

Hi ladies,

Hope you are all well, especially in current circumstances!

I know BD is generally it is every other day in fertile window and then every day during ovulation. But my partner has some problems with his sperm, so do you think it would be beneficial so wait a few days to build up some good quality sperm for ovulation day or is that just completely pointless and ridiculous? 

Or would there be any benefit to BD twice a day during ovulation? 

Please, please, any advice would be so appreciated!

Thank you xxx

Replies

• I think it depends what kind of problem. Is it mobility, count, physiology?
  • Its abnormal morphology  xx
  • Double tails? 
  • I think it was to do with the head shape but not 100% sure. Annoyingly he had the tests at the beginning of all the covid so they follow up appointment with the GP was over the phone and he didnt really seem to know much about what he was talking about so we are still in the dark a bit xx
  • If yes, then if all of them or just some. And how is the count?
  • I will attach apic of the results as they will make more sense to you....if you could translate any of it for me that would be great! 😂
  • Could u tell me what's written in comment for semen. I cant read it
  • Is that the bottom lines?

It says semen volume (492..) (SNOMED: 1010291000000101) 1.5 ml (1.5-9,999)

SEMENOLOGY FERTILITY; SEMEN ANALYSIS SUPP INFO Report, Abnormal, make appointment to see doctor

Thank you so much for your help, sorry I'm a bit useless!

• MadDodaMadDoda Regular
    edited May 7, 2020 10:48AM
    No, comment for semen: .....spermia, can't read full word
  • Teratozoospermia (abnormal morphology)
  • Did u have genetic tests done on his sperm?
  • No just this one....unfortunately he had it at the start of all the covid things so all further tests and referrals are on hold 😢
  • Do you think he needs one. What would that test tell you? X
  • OK so his tests say that his semen is slightly alkaline, a little over the norm. I'm no expert so don't take what I say as definitive. Ph is important, because it's creating conditions for swimming better and can be lethal for sperm, the same ph of ur CM matters. But I wouldn't worry about this little over the norm. Sperm  count is in upper half of the norm which is good. Then 52% of sperm is immotile, so can't move, useless. 48% an move but only 40% is able to progress forward, remaining 8% moves but probably I'm circles, which would mean two or more tails. So a bit less than half of ur dh sperm can make it to the egg, considering count, number is low but still good and in norm. Unfortunately only 2% of total sperm count has normal morphology. The rest have defects of the head size or tail. So depending on how sever defects are u may be able to get pregnant naturally or u may have a very low chance. Tail is important for movement as I said so they can go forward, head morphology is important because there is acrosome at the front of the head which contains enzymes needed for penetrating zona pellucida of the egg. So depends how much this is affected large proportion of sperm may not be able to penetrate the egg to fertilise it. Often sperm defects are related to genetics, so it definitely has to be checked, but there doesn't have to be a problem. As for bd I would say stick to the same  every day in fertile window. Sperm comes from limited number of stem cells, which suggests that some of them could be defective, but some are fine, so proportion from the test shouldn't change much without medical intervention. Since u got no problem with count, u can effort daily sex and that will give u maxim healthy sperm count having access to egg. I may be wrong, u definitely gotta talk to Dr, even if it's phone appointment, it could give u an idea. I hope I was able to help a little.
  • Thank you so so much for your help! You were more help than the doctor was!

Do you think then that there is quite a low chance of us conceiving naturally? Xx
  • There is a chance but how high it depends on level of defect, and count of sperm which can create healthy embryo.
  • MadDodaMadDoda Regular
    edited May 7, 2020 11:21AM
    But if u consider only that 2% normal sperm, then chances are very low. It all depends if there is a way to fix those issues ur not. I don't know answer to that unfortunately. 

But u should start thinking about ivf as an option. 
  • Thank you. I think we need to speak to a doctor again - one that knows what they are talking about unlike last time!

I felt like this is it for us now being able to have a baby naturally. I feel absolutely crushed 😢

But thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me xx
  • I know how cruel it can be, but there is sperm of normal morphology, which is great news. I hope u will succeed naturally and will not have to wait too long for ur happiness.
  • Thank you x