Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

evap or vvfl (going crazy)

I am not holding out much hope that I’m pregnant at all, because timing wise the odds are astronomical, but my nipples have been stinging almost nonstop for ages, and I’ve had a niggling feeling, so to take the edge off I did a one step cheapie... of course it had a barely there squinter. Now, half my brain is saying: that’s an evap, now let it go. While the other half is reminding me that my urine was so diluted it almost looked like water soooo maaaaybe it’s a vvvfl...?! 

Anyway. It was enough to send me POAS mad. 

I decided to do another IC the next morning - again, my urine was really clear, and again there was a barely there squinter... 

Now this is where things get really crazy. I decided to dip another one of the bastard one steps in WATER, just to see if the same kind of barely there line would appear - and put an end to the doubt! 

Well, now I have two tests where I’m going: I think I see a line! 

And one test where I’m going: I don’t think I see anything! 

But regardless, I am less reassured now than before I took the first test. 

Replies

• Hmm, I feel like I see something on both. So if one of those is dipped in water then I'm afraid I'd have to err on the side of evaps.

However... if you've still got plenty left then it'll not do any harm to keep testing. I'd try to stick to every other day with FMU f it were me because that will be the easiest way to see if there is line progression.

Fingers crossed for you though! Good luck!
  • Seriously? You see a squinter on the bottom one as well? Go figures XD 

yeah, I have a whole bag of these one steps - might as well keep testing every second day! 

Thanks for having a look! Xx
  • Unfortunately yes, I reckon I see something on the bottom one.

If I'd had to choose I'd have said the top one is stronger than the bottom one. So if the top one is from your urine then I'd definitely be hopeful. But it's still quite inconclusive.

Good luck though, it won't be long until it becomes really obvious. You could even keep doing a double-dip. One in water and one in urine so you've always got the 'negative' to compare to. 
  •  haha that’s a good idea - I mean I have enough of these tests, so why not! 
  • Haha, when we were TTC our son me and my husband went to Boots and couldn't believe how expensive HPTs were. I remembered seeing pictures of 'weird' pregnancy tests online and had no idea where there were getting them from. I dread to think how much we spent on tests and I only did 4 of them. I reckon I could've bought around 100+ one-step dip tests for the same price!

Needless to say, if we decide to TTC #2 I'll be stocking up on these cheap dip tests and will probably test pretty much every day of the TWW  :D

If you can I'd be really interested in seeing your updates over the next few days?
  • Yeah, it’s ridiculous how much I’ve spent on different brand tests - which is why I’m just doing these cheap ones now! 

I’ll try testing again, and if there’s any kind of progression I’ll update here. But since you said you could see something in the bottom one (which i still can’t in this picture) I looked at them again and IRL I think I can see something in it too... so unless the bathroom tap is pregnant, I think these one steps are definitely awful for evaps... 
  • Yeh I see it! That's how mine started... 9 weeks now ❤️
  • Congratulations @Coconutfoxx! But do you see anything in the bottom one? Because that’s dipped in water to see if the squinter is an evap/ident that happens regardless! 
  • Top test looks like a faint line with a pink colour to it. I wouldn't say I see the same on the bottom one. Good luck xx
  • Mrs_T. said:
    Top test looks like a faint line with a pink colour to it. I wouldn't say I see the same on the bottom one. Good luck xx
    Well, I probably have a dodgy batch - the bottom test was dipped in tap water! XD
  • idath said:
    Mrs_T. said:
    Top test looks like a faint line with a pink colour to it. I wouldn't say I see the same on the bottom one. Good luck xx
    Well, I probably have a dodgy batch - the bottom test was dipped in tap water! XD
    @idath yes that's what I'm saying I see a positive in the top one but not the bottom. Have you retested?xx
  • Oh sorry @Mrs_T. ! I misread your comment, thought you say could maybe see something in the bottom one!

So, funnily enough, I'd just done a test - no second line came up immediately, so I didn't have any hope for it. But then a second line did appear, although it's still a squinter and I feel like it should be darker by now if it was a real positive... However, I will continue the experiment, so I dipped another one in tap water, and just waiting for that now. Will update in a minute! xx
  • @idath no worries! Have you got a different brand to try? Xx
  • Ooooh-kay... weirdest thing. The tap water test, in real life, is stark white. But when I take a picture of it, I think I see something. I have line eyes now I think. This is so bisarre, tell me I'm crazy and/or seeing things!

• @idath oh that is very confusing. In your first tweaked one line is clear to see. Even feel I see it in your untweaked photo. When I zoom in on the tap water one I can't make anything out but does appear to be a shadow or something on the first one, can't see anything on the second one. X
  • I'm afraid I think the tap water vs urine tests look the same to me. And 4 days later I would expect to see a really clear positive by now. 

Do you know when you ovulated? 

Or how long your cycle is on average / what cycle day you are on?
  • Mrs_T. said:
    @idath no worries! Have you got a different brand to try? Xx
    Yeah, I have a FRER and a couple of ClearBlue, but they're all from Amazon and I've got it in my head that they're faulty (been reading lots of negative reviews), but might as well try the FRER in the morning. I mean I won't have any use for them in a while anyway, unless I'm actually pregnant now. Partner and I have decided to try and get on the waiting list for IUI treatment so that will probably take a while...

Thanks for indulging my madness @Mrs_T.
    ! xxx
  • @Curiosity101 @Mrs_T. yeah I know, it's super weird. In real life I can definitely see a faint line (with pink) in the top test and the water test looks completely negative, but I see the shadow through my phone camera, same as you see in the photo. Anyway, yes, I agree, I would also expect it to be darker by now if it was really positive! Have no idea about CD/DPO this time around unfortunately, my cycles have been completely messed up since my chemical in December (including PMS from Hell!) Thanks for looking and being kind you two xxx
  • @idath definitely do the frer in the morning! Keep us posted xx
  • These one steps are such a mindfuck. 

Now that the ones from yesterday have dried, you can definitely see that the urine one has a line and the water one is blank. Did another this morning and there's a faint line again, but it's fainter than yesterday although my urine was clearly more concentrated today than it was yesterday. 

(FRER was negative, but my mind's not going to be at ease until I do a store bought one, because I've read so many negative reviews about the FRERs bought in Amazon...)