Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Folic acid & period

I’ve been taking folic acid for about 2 months or a month now and every time my period has been late and I don’t know why. Has this happened to anyone else before. I’m always on time but since taking the tablets I’ve been late which the makes me think I’m pregnant and then it’s false hope 

Replies

• I used pregnacare last month, had brown spotting for three days when my period was due and then a very light flow for two days. Swapped to folic acid this month and am now three days late. Two negative tests but maybe too early or maybe like you, I am just late because of the FA? Did yours arrive? 
  • I've heard that Pregnacare can mess with your cycles for some people. It may be that it extends your cycles a little, either delaying ovulation a little later or extending your luteal phase. 

Are you charting your temps or using opks at all? X
  • Hi ladies. 

I’ve been taking it for about 3 months of so now folic acid well since properly trying to conceive and the times Im due in my period I’ve been 4 days late both times - now I’m not sure if that’s because my body is getting use to the semen or anything like that. 
    I’ve spoken to my doctor about advice on pregnancy and he just said keep trying it will happen and I don’t use any ovulation kits or temp checks as the doctor didn’t really advice me to and didn’t sound to keen on use things like that. 
  • I found taking pregnecare worked to help regulate my cycle. I got pregnant 1 month trying after trying for almost a year. Not sure if coincidence or not though. @jess24 we didn’t use ovulation strips until a few months into trying because we werent getting anywhere. I found them really helpful and found out I ovulated far later than I thought 
  • @Emsy20 ahh okay when do you know when to take the ovulation test Or just go by the cervical mucus? I have an app but not sure if its entirely right 
  • @Jess24 - I also use an app and just start Ovulation testing a few days before the app says I am due.  It has been really useful in getting things worked out a little more precisely!  Currently Day 3 of being late but a negative First Response test this morning so thinking it is just the folic acid.  I also stopped smoking this month so it could be that as well.  Not holding out much hope but I probably could do with a few months to get my body righted again after stopping smoking anyway.  Its all just practice at this stage!! :)

• Just took an ovulation test. It’s negative but as there is a line that’s near enough there but not as dark as the line on the right would I be right in saying that I’m nearly ovulating then? 

• @Jess24 I'm sorry I missed this coming in. I see that line but I don't use the same test so couldn't have advised you either way. I have clear blue for my ovulation tests which ha a smiley face system.
    My own period was 7 days late this month and arrived just as I arrived at my gynaecologist appointment. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the irony of it!! I will just have to redouble the effort for next month! 😁😁
  • Hi ladies. I took a test today and it was negative as it might be to Early to get accurate results...
     Do any of you advice to wait a few days and take another one...
    have any of you ladies been in this situation before?