Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Should we start now or wait til Covid is “over”?

My DH have been warming up to the idea of having kids. I’m 26, he’s 27. We have plenty saved in the bank, no debt, have a house etc. We are feeling ready now but with Covid, I’m not sure if we should wait longer to start trying. I’m a teacher and have to wear a mask, use a lot of hand sanitizer, spray chemical disinfectant often and I’m worried maybe that isn’t good for pregnancy. Being at school, I might get the virus too. I would ask my doctor but I couldn’t get an appointment until November.

Now is a good time because we will be moving to a new state within the year and I want to use the sick days I have at my current employer for a paid maternity leave. If we wait much longer, I will be with a new employer with no paid maternity leave. 

Replies

• I don’t think there’s ever a good time or the best time. I’m a nurse who before I was pregnant was seeing actual patients with the virus (now only going to what they call low risk patients but i don’t think anyone is low risk these days) I’d say go for it! If it’s a good time in your life other wise then why not. a lot changes in 9 months. 
    The only thing I would say has been frustrating is that where I am in north west my husband can’t come with me to any NHS scans but we have booked a few private ones along the way x
  • We were also asking ourselves the same question, re baby number 2. We were due to start trying in May but waited until July and made the decision that Covid might not be go anywhere for a while and we have to learn to live with it. I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant. 

Bear in mind it may also take you a few months to get pregnant. I hope not but it's something I didn't think of before I had my first child. It took us 6 months to conceive him, we had an early miscarriage and I wished we had tried sooner. 

There's no indication coronovirus can harm your baby. It'd be unpleasant to get it while pregnant for sure but I don't think there's an increased risk of misacarriage (That's what I read). 

Good luck in whatever you decide to do :) 

• I say go for it
  • I would go for it too - there is no perfect time to have a baby and as Mary58 said it may take some
    time to get pregnant. Best of luck x 
  • I’d go for it I was 3mths pregnant when it hit and my LG is 6 wks now it could be around for years