Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

TTC whilst breastfeeding

edited Jan 3, 2022 2:49PM in Trying to conceive
Hi - I have a nearly 13 month old and am still breastfeeding. Morning and evening and through the night. When he’s with us at weekends and on my
non-working day I also feed for naps (twice a day). My period hasn’t yet returned but of course I know I could fall pregnant if I start ovulating. Just wondering if anyone has fallen pregnant whilst breastfeeding or knows any tips for trying to get my cycle started again? As I feed overnight I am worried I’ll have to drop that to get my cycle back and I just don’t see that working for us 😭

Replies

• Catlady220Catlady220 Regular
    edited Jan 3, 2022 4:02PM
    @RememberToBreathe wait whattttt 🥰 oh I'm so excited for u
  • @RememberToBreathe wait whattttt 🥰 oh I'm so excited for u
    Haha, I don’t have high hopes given I can’t get pregnant without ovulating and so far breastfeeding has meant I haven’t ovulated. I was hoping as I fed less (going ten hours during the day without feeding) it would kickstart it but so far no luck. I’ve even done a couple of pregnancy tests just to check 🤦‍♀️

How are things?
  • They are going good cy just turned 10 months and is such a sweet lil boy
  • @RememberToBreathe I am in a similar situation to you. My baby is nearly 10 months and despite no breastfeeding for substantial periods of time (from 7pm to 7am) I still haven't had my period return 🙄 I keep feeling like the aul witch is trying to make a come back as I get cramps etc but then nothing!

Sorry this offers you no help other than to say you're not alone and to hopefully see if anyome else has any help or advice too I guess xx
  • Thanks for your message @cheesecoleslaw86 - good to know I’m not alone at least! 

I quite regularly get both ovulation style cramps and period cramps but nothing. Plenty of cervical mucus too so things are definitely trying to happen just aren’t yet. 

I’m 37 now and it took us over a year to have Ralph (after four early losses) so I’m so keen to start trying ASAP. Probably stressing myself out about it isn’t helping either but this is me!! 

Hope your cycle kick starts soon so you know what’s what x 
  • Hey i have fell pregnant both times while breastfeeding over 12mnths with bot and continued breastfeeding thoughout my pregnancy.

I think its just down to how much you feed and per session and how long in-between.
    I aleays tried to get my kids drinking other things throughout the day like milk and water and stuff so they weren't always on me.

Hope this helps 
  • Kayciee said:
    Hey i have fell pregnant both times while breastfeeding over 12mnths with bot and continued breastfeeding thoughout my pregnancy.

I think its just down to how much you feed and per session and how long in-between.
    I aleays tried to get my kids drinking other things throughout the day like milk and water and stuff so they weren't always on me.

Hope this helps 
    He’s at nursery in the day so I go 10 hours without feeding him, not made a difference so far 😂🤦‍♀️
  • @RememberToBreathe the cramps and ovulation pains are sooo annoying. I am currently have some v bad cramps and am hoping something is happening 🤞 it feels like when I came off the pill and was waiting for af to come and my hormones were everywhere. It's a fun time lol

I am so, so sorry to hear about your losses. That must have been such a difficult time for you 😥 I'm delighted for you that you got your beautiful little miracle man. Ralph is a beautiful name 💙 Did they investigate what caused the losses or was it unexplained?

It took us 8 months to have Ollie. We had a few chemical pregnancies along the way and I quickly realised I was deficient in prog. My luteal phase is a pathetic 7 days so I had to pay privately to beg a consultant to prescribe prog for me and thankfully that did the trick 🙏 have made an appt with private consultant again to get more prog before we start ttc. 

But I understand your need to get moving on ttc number 2. I am 35 and my mum had early menopause so I am keen to get moving again. I won't be sorry when my ttc days are behind me. Feel like it's left me with ptsd 😂😂😂 xx

@Kayciee thanks for that. Great you were able to conceive and keep breastfeeding 😊 xx
  • @cheesecoleslaw86 thanks lovely! All four were within nine months, all before 5.5 weeks so I think technically chemical pregnancies too but they were so hard especially the last one where I found out I was pregnant on Boxing Day and started bleeding on NYE. I’m so sorry you experienced this too. Very glad you were able to diagnose the problem! I had lots of investigatory stuff done under a recurrent miscarriage clinic but nothing was uncovered. 

I eventually saw a private consultant who was convinced I had endometriosis due to debilitating ovulation pain (so bad I couldn’t get out of bed) and I was booked in for exploratory stuff / surgery at the end of March. It was cancelled last minute due to Covid so we tried that month as I was about to ovulate and bam, there was Ralph! Bonkers! 

I’ve no idea what will happen next time or whether ovulation will be quite so bad. My consultant said that if I got pregnant and stayed pregnant it would help my body so maybe it has!? 

I genuinely feel like I have some sort of PTSD you know. Pregnancy announcements still hurt so much and I’m still traumatised by having to go to every scan alone with Ralph, especially the one at 6 weeks because I was bleeding. I don’t think I’ll ever get over that! 

Sorry this has turned into a pity party by my own doing 😂
  • @Kayciee quick question for you if you don’t mind? Did your babies feed overnight when you fell pregnant? I keep reading that it’s stopping at night that really helps. Something to do with prolactin?!

• @RememberToBreathe aw I am so sorry you went through all of that. Esp at Christmas time, there is something about that time of year that makes everything that bit more intense. And having to go to scans alone when you were bleeding.... It is inhumane! So glad all was okay with wee Ralph 💙

I have heard of so many people who struggled to conceive their first and then when they ttc again it happened so much quicker, like the first or second month of trying. So here's hoping for us both 🤞 we just need the aul witch to grace us and hopefully it will be a lot less painful for you 😳

The ptsd with ttc is real! And the problem is it is not talked about enough. That's why these forums are such a God send. When I was ttc Ollie it felt like everyone was pregnant and with zero effort. Meanwhile I was flat out with my femometer, doing ovulation tests and chatting everything and generally going insane 😂 xx

• @cheesecoleslaw86 my period arrived today!!!! 
  • @RememberToBreathe yeeeeyyyyyy! I am delighted for you 🙌🙌🙌 Hopefully you'll find you have a good regular cycle now and then the fun begins 😜 I have been having the most horrific stomach pains and been feeling sick this past week so I am hoping mine will be here v soon. I also have lightening boob 😂 which usually happens just before she arrives 🤞

I hope you arent feeling too sore or poorly xx
  • Fingers crossed things are working for you too @cheesecoleslaw86

For a few days I’ve been thinking something has been up because I’ve been super grumpy, cannot stop eating and my little one has been feeding so much and I think it’s because my supply decreased. 

Just hoping it’s not a one off and I do ovulate. Have started temping to just try and see what’s what!
  • Here is hoping 🤞 hope the aul witch wasn't too horrific. I am still waiting on her to arrive but I def feel she isn't far away.... Def changes in cm so I am hoping it isn't far away and I will see you in the ttc groups 🤞xx
  • Here is hoping 🤞 hope the aul witch wasn't too horrific. I am still waiting on her to arrive but I def feel she isn't far away.... Def changes in cm so I am hoping it isn't far away and I will see you in the ttc groups 🤞xx
    🤞🏻
  • @RememberToBreathe the witch is back for me now! Think this cycle is going to be normal enough as I have a positive ovulation test when I would have expected to get it so next Month is game on 😂

Hope you are getting on okay and your cycle has regulated itself 🤞 xx