Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Blood clotting and loss

Hi guys,

Does anyone know much about Prothrombin Time? Mine just came back at 12.5 seconds - my hospital says the range is 12.8-17seconds so I think my blood clots a bit quicker than normal? Does anyone know what the treatment is for that?

Sorry I’m not speaking to my doctor until 9th Jan and obvs freaking out that we could maybe have found a reason why I keep having early miscarriages (I’ve had 3 chemicals and one missed miscarriage, plus two ectopics in 5 years). If anyone has any idea (or if they’ve experienced anything similar) I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Obvs I’m going to go with whatever my doctor says in Jan but I think I might go crazy waiting 4.5 weeks to get even a bit of an answer. Also wanted to try naturally whilst we wait for the appointment but if it means I need help with blood thinners or something I might avoid until I’ve spoken to her.

Replies

• Hi @esbrough1103286, how are you doing? Did you find out what your situation was at your appointment in early January?

I am in a very similar situation to you, I have had 6 early miscarriages (though I have a little boy who is just over 2.5 after the first 3 - mircale baby seemingly) and in September had a positive result for anti-phosolipid syndrome. I had my repeat blood test in December to confirm diagnosis and I have my follow up on 9th February so I'm waiting to see what the plan of action is. 

I, like you, think I need to be on blood thinners even to keep a pregnancy early on. I'm fairly convinced I'm pregnant again this month although I have a massive aversion to pregnancy tests due to my history so I daren't test! 
  • Hi @esbrough1103286, how are you doing? Did you find out what your situation was at your appointment in early January?

I am in a very similar situation to you, I have had 6 early miscarriages (though I have a little boy who is just over 2.5 after the first 3 - mircale baby seemingly) and in September had a positive result for anti-phosolipid syndrome. I had my repeat blood test in December to confirm diagnosis and I have my follow up on 9th February so I'm waiting to see what the plan of action is. 

I, like you, think I need to be on blood thinners even to keep a pregnancy early on. I'm fairly convinced I'm pregnant again this month although I have a massive aversion to pregnancy tests due to my history so I daren't test! 
    Hi Gina,

I'm okay thanks. Yeah my doctor wasn't worried about the prothrombin time as it was only JUST out. Which I was surprised about but she's the expert!

She does think I might have a slight subseptate uterus causing the issues though so next steps would be a hysteroscopy to sort it. She did say she would want to repeat the thromboelastogram in early pregnancy to see if my levels aren't right in pregnancy but are normal when not if you get what I mean. If it's not great then I'll need aspirin and/or heparin.

However I've just found out i'm pregnant again and absolutely shitting myself, currently waiting for an app at the EPU later today. So scared of a chemical/miscarriage or ectopic again.

Ohh that's great you could have a potential reason for your losses, APS deffo contributes to it doesn't it. If you think you might be pregnant, 100% bite the bullet and test!! It's terrifying but at least then you will know...

• I can understand the fear when finding out you're pregnant - but congratulations!! I hope the visit to the EPU goes well - and indeed that you don't need any of those medications during pregnancy. Fingers crossed this is it this time! It is such a horrendous roller coaster that no-one wants to be on! I will try and find the courage to test, maybe Friday if I haven't started bleeding by then...
  • I can understand the fear when finding out you're pregnant - but congratulations!! I hope the visit to the EPU goes well - and indeed that you don't need any of those medications during pregnancy. Fingers crossed this is it this time! It is such a horrendous roller coaster that no-one wants to be on! I will try and find the courage to test, maybe Friday if I haven't started bleeding by then...
    Thanks Gina, it was too early to see anything so still in limbo. My HCG was 190 and repeating it tomorrow so fingers crossed. Got rather a lot of back pain and a bit of cramping though so I'm not holding out too much hope. It's so hard to stay hopeful after loss, you just think the same thing will happen again!
    Hopefully your period doesn't come and you can test with a bit more confidence tomorrow - fingers crossed!
  • Sorry I haven't been online for a few days! How are you doing @esbrough1103286? I still haven't tested...but I will do this week if af doesn't start tomorrow. Figured there is no change over the weekend, I can't access the obgyn clinic to find out if I need the blood thinners (if I'm pregnant I don't want to wait until 9th Feb to find out, since all my losses are 6 weeks or less!). Did you get your repeat bloods?
  • esbrough1103286esbrough1103286 Regular
    edited Jan 23, 2024 2:16PM
    @ginajolly90 I'm okay thanks, slightly shitting myself though as I have another scan tomorrow. My levels did rise by 80% to 345 which is good as they only need a 66% rise in 48 hours but that was Friday and i've had nothing between then and today, no bloods or scans and i've not even been testing since last Wednesday as I didn't want it stressing me out which has been nice but it's been weird this in-between stage where I don't know if everything's okay or not, argh. Really hoping we see something tomorrow and it's all fine but i've only ever known loss so am crapping myself ha.

Any sign of AF or have you tested yet??