Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Question about SMEP

I am hoping to do this, this cycle I have read that you start on CD 8 but some of the girls doing it on ttc seem to start earlier!! Does it matter?? My AF lasts a bit longer & im hoping that by CD8 i'll be ready to go (CD5 today).

Also You do it everyother day including ov & the day after then leave a day & then one for luck & then stop.

Does anyone know why it says to stop???

Thanks for any answers, I know it will prob be hard to stick to as oh will prob be tired but was just interested to know. xx

Replies

• After the last time you are out of your fertile period, so basicly it is pointless to bd. More to give your oh a rest. Of course you can still have intercourse, you just can't get pregnant anymore. (only of course when you track ov)

Starting earlier will make sure all the old sperm has disappeared and you can start with fresh sperm. But it depends on which cd you ov to be honest. If you ov on cd 18, you can basicly start on cd12 with the first time. (but than you are recommended to do it once before you start the plan to get rid of old sperm)
  • Hi Laujai,

Sounds like a good plan! My understanding is that you start at CD8 as there's little point beforehand (except for fun of course ;o) ) then it's every other day to give hubby's little swimmers time to regenerate. Apparently they're not as strong if they don't have a rest.

Then I guess it just says to stop as the window for the egg has gone after this time.

I probably haven't told you anything you don't already know there but that's how I understand it.

Good luck...I remember we tried this and my OH was tired! But it's all for a good cause! xxx
  • Ah Breighllin, I didn't know that about getting rid of the old sperm! Such a clever plan xxx
  • i think you just stop BD'ing but obviously you van have sex till! lol, Zita keeps saying in this book that there is no such thing as too much sex and it is a myth about giving sperm time to build up! xx
  • Thanks girls

I wondered if there was a special reason for stopping LOL.

I know all of the above LOL, however it's interesting what ZW says cause if a woman waits & only has sex on her fertile days there is a chance that the sperm can be tired cause they've been waiting around LOL (saw this on that programme agea ago) xxx
  • I don't think the sperm needs a rest, I read that it takes up to 72 days for sperm to generate so they're in there getting ready all the time. I've been doing the SMEP and got a BFP on my first month of trying last month (wasn't a sticky one though), so i'm onto my 2nd month of SMEP (24th month ttc with 1 stillbirth and 1mc) When you get your positive OPK you need to BD that night and then for 2 nights in a row, take a break and then 1 more night. It also says your OH should empty his tubes during the wait as when you think about it if you stopped there it would be nearly 3 weeks before you BD'd again!! I personally don't stop, (well maybe a couple of days break) you should carry on but BD because you want to, not because you have to!! Good luck, I hope it works for you xx
  • Thanks Dottie

That's what I meant about emptying LOl cause they've been sittng there for so long i.e. if a woman doesnt have sex right up until ov & oh hasnt done it himself then there not as likely to conceive.

Cause it says then stop, I wondered why LOL cause wouldnt want to turn oh down if we wanted to do it again LOL.

Were going onto month 16 with 4 mc so as we had to have a little break cause of tests im ready for action & willing to try lots of things to ttc!!

Thanks for the advice & good luck to you too hun xxx
  • it atkes 72 days to make sperm and the remaining 28 for them to build there energy, so 100 days in total! and apparently it would take about 30 'goes' to empty the man, bearing in mind that they're being made all the time! swat or what!!! lol xxx
  • it atkes 72 days to make sperm and the remaining 28 for them to build there energy, so 100 days in total! and apparently it would take about 30 'goes' to empty the man, bearing in mind that they're being made all the time! swat or what!!! lol xxx
  • Ohh Gold Star for you LOL head of the class!!!

Is this from the sperm info on the front page? Or you just a clever bunny!! xx
  • Zita wests conception book!!! some v interesting info! does give you a good insight as to why it can take months to get a bfp but some stuff is also a lil depressing - can see how people can get so hooked on changing everything in their lives!!!! xxx