Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

anyone had two blighted ovums? Also posted in preg after MC

I've just been diagnosed with second blighted ovum in three months. The epau said it's just bad luck but I thought it was rare for it to happen twice. They did say I could ask for a consultant referral if I wanted. I don't have any children yet and am worried that it could be a problem with me or other half. Did anyone here conceive successfully after two BOs? And did you have any investgations that found a problem? I just feel convinced it will happen again as the egg stopped developing at four or five weeks both times. I've gone to pieces and couldn't face this again, just wondered where to go from here and wanted to hear some stories of hope or any ideas. Many thanks. Skye.

Replies

• Hi Skye

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you twice. I also had a blighted ovum the first (and only time) I fell pg last June. Unfortunately, we haven't managed to conceive again since, but I really don't think I'd be able to cope if it happened a second time, so you have my sincerest sympathy.

I too was led to believe that it would be extremely unlikely to happen a second time, and I'm not sure I go with the explanation of "bad luck", so maybe it is worth looking in to.

I hope you're looking after yourself. Big hugs...
    Lynn x
  • Hi Lynn! Sorry to hear about your loss too. It's an odd one for me. After the first they told me not to worry and that this sort of miscarriage is common with a first and rarely recurrs. Although now they're saying two is quite normal. I think I will push for investigations if only to rule out a problem before trying again. It seems too much of a coincidence to me. Will post on here if I find out anything useful. Good luck with ttc. I guess at least we know the conception part all works even if it can sometimes take longer than hoped. In that respect I guess I've been lucky. Really hope the next one's a sticker for us both.