Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Planning - 1st baby!!!

Hey everyone

i am new to the site so hi all!

my husband & i have decided to start trying for our first child & are very excited by it. unfortunately though i have had to start a new job recently & was wondering if you had any thoughts on how this would affect us trying for our baby, I mean - i know its every employers nightmare to have a new start & she soon announces she is pregnant - have you any thoughts on this - should we wait a while/have you been in this situation?

We are both desperate to give it a good go & realise it migght take a while anyway....need advice please image

Replies

• Hi - It's all very exciting isn't it?! We're planning for our 1st at the moment too so I know how you feel.

Regarding the new job, you'll have to check your contract, but I know mine says that you have to work here for 15 weeks or something before you fall pregnant to be entitled to the benefits (might be wrong though, I've worked here for 4 years so I'm not bothered lol)
  • hey I'm actually pregnant at the mo- I started my job in August and I'm 9 weeks pregnant now, legally you have to have been in a job a week longer than your pregnancy is (or 3 weeks before you ovulate) to get SMP if your company offers additional benefits then the terms of those will be covered by your contract- havent told my boss yet- dont think he'll be over the moon but he cant show it x
  • Hi hunni and welcome!!
    We are currently planning our 2nd!!
    With regards to the SMP you have to be working in the job for 26 weeks when you mclaim it.
    Can,t remember any of the other requirements for it but this link has everything on it.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018741

Hope it helps!
    xxx
  • thanks ladies, i will look over my contract, and check out the link above but hoping that we can start trying in the next few months. in the meantime i am just trying to do what i can to try & prepare my body to give us the best chance possible - you are right though, we are very excited - we have 3 lovely nieces & nephews and are just so looking forward to having our own child x
  • Hey everyone

i am new to the site so hi all!

my husband & i have decided to start trying for our first child & are very excited by it. unfortunately though i have had to start a new job recently & was wondering if you had any thoughts on how this would affect us trying for our baby, I mean - i know its every employers nightmare to have a new start & she soon announces she is pregnant - have you any thoughts on this - should we wait a while/have you been in this situation?

We are both desperate to give it a good go & realise it migght take a while anyway....need advice please image

Same position here.

While you are legally supposed to get maturity leave etc., if you have a probationary period it's possible an employer might claim you hadn't passed it if you rock up pregnant within that 3-6 month period.

I'm in the same boat, so I've decided to leave it until I've been there three months then start trying. That way if I do get pregnant in the first month or so of trying I can quite successfully avoid mentioning it for the first 12 weeks and then be out of probationary before I stick my hand up and tell them!