Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Want to have baby but worried studies will be affected

I am currently working in a MNC and doing ACCA part time. I got married 2 months ago. I am 28 and my husband is 36 yrs old. My problem now is, I'm really excited to get pregnant but at the same time I'm worried it will affect my studies. I'm scared I wont be able to concentrate on studies while pregnant.

I'm not sure what I am suppose to do now. Whether I should complete my studies before planning a baby or have a baby 1st and continue my studies later on. I'm also not sure if I will be able to cope with work, studies and pregnancy at the same time.

Between, my mom said that she can take care of my baby while I can concentrate on my studies.

Really confused and need some advise here.:\?

Replies

• hello and welcome to planning

i know of a few ladies who have taken time out of uni to have a baby, if you are organised and have a resonable pregnancy then studying whilst pregnant is defo doable, i think the biggest problem you will have is after the baby is here, will you want to go back, will you want to do it full time etc? my baby is 7 months and i go back to work in a few weeks and i am hating the thought of leaving him, another thing to consider is money, will you get any maternity pay if your studying? how long do you have left?

all in all it is possible if thats what you want to do, i know from experience it doesnt always happen straight away (11 months trying for no1)

• I am in a very similar position. Studying for CIMA and nearing the end but really wanting a baby.
    I get where you are coming from totally and cant make a decision either xxx
  • I think it honestly will affect them slighty, especially when baby arrives as the first few months are hardest with sleepless nights etc and I like piggypops couldnt bear to leave him to go back to work so i decided to become a SAHM.

It is possible though and lots of people got pregnant when i was at uni and just joined the intake behind us of whatever, and like piggypops says it could take a whole year to fall but it only took us 3 months so be prepared! It sounds like if you were to have a baby you have lots of support from your family image

Good luck with whatever you decide!

xxx
  • I'm a student and will be starting TTC from September. I am just completing my masters and will be starting my PhD in September. There are lots of people in my department who are doing their PhDs alongside being a mum. I am planning to take a year out which is the longest I am allowed to defer by. If you defer your course so that you *have* to start again in a year, it will give you the motivation to get back up and organised.

I think in a way it's better to be a student and mum than to take time out of working. You are more flexible as to when you can do your coursework (I work best late into the evenings anyway after doing all my jobs etc in the day) and, if you're based at a University, there is more often than not nursery facilities. For example, when I have a baby, I can use the Uni nursery at a reduced cost and be in the very next building working. Most mums take their lunchtime in the nursery too with their babies which is nice.

It will be very difficult, but definitely possible. Just find out how much you can do at home and what the workload will be like and you can make a more informed decision.
  • I was in a very similar situation to you last year. I was 28 and studying for CIMA. I'd been in my job for 6 years and had worked my way up to a senior position and really couldn't see how I was going to take the time to start a family. Then I found out I was going to be made redundant this year - fortunately with a very generous redndancy package - which would allow me to spend this year and half of next at home before the money ran out. My partner and I decided that if we didn't go for it now we never would. I had one more exam to go before I'd reached the diploma in Management Accounts stage so we started trying to conceive whilst I continued to study for that exam. I fell pregnant in Sept 09 and took that exam in Nov 09. It was the hardest exam I have ever taken. I was suffering really badly from afternoon sickness at that stage and spent the whole exam breathing deeply trying not to throw up. Fortunately I passed it and then decided to have a break for a year or so while I had the baby. I gave birth 4 weeks ago tomorrow. I am just gearing myself up to start studying for my finals, which I will probably aim to sit in May 11.

I really do feel as though I am getting to the stage where I would like to be using my brain again. And whilst my little girl can be demading at times there are other times where she is napping or my mum has taken her to give me a break and I find myself doing mindless things to pass the time or catching up on things recoreded on sky+.

If I had known then what I do now there is no way I'd have sat that Nov exam in the first 12 weeks of being pregnant so my advice is think carefully about what you plan to do study wise during those 9 months. Every pregnancy is different but if you're having a rough one then exams are the last thing you want to be thinking about. However, speaking from this side of having a baby I certainly don't think it's going to be impossible to continue studying now she's here. Especially if you have the support, which it sounds as though you do.

Hope this helps in some way x
  • Hi...thanks to all for your advise & feedbacks....It will definately help in making up my mind....thanks image