Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bad news and good news! :\?

Hi everyone,

I carry my babies very outfront when pregnant, and when I was pregnant with Noah, my second, my tummy muscles parted, and I was told I'd need physio to get them together again (I don't want to scare anyone, it's not that common and it's not a big deal, it doesn't hurt or anything!). Anyway, I saw the physio today, who gave me some exercises to do. I asked her about how having another child would affect me, and she didn't say I had to wait but said I might get less problems if I did. I also had the problem when I was 30-odd weeks with Noah that my ligaments softened too much so my hip when and I ended up on crutches. She said this was likely to happen again, and again that waiting could be a good idea. I asked how long, and she was very non-commital - she said something about a year, then said that some women have found it helps to wait 2 years. 2 YEARS!!!! I can't do that - I'm already v broody and Noah's only 5 months! image

Now for the good news - I briefly spoke to hubby at work to fill him in, and we agreed that we're not convinced waiting for a long time will make a great deal of difference - we reckon if problems are going to happen then they're going to happen regardless. Jacob was a year old when I got pregnant with Noah, and that didn't stop my problems from happening. I said to hubby I didn't want to wait too long as I'm already 33, and not sure if I want one or two more children (I'm not saying at all that women my age or older can't have children, I just personally feel that I don't want to wait too long), and he agreed that 2 years was definitely too long to wait and we should be OK to try sooner! I think he's definitely getting round to my way of thinking, he didn't say that we should just stick with 2 children - yaay!!! He said we should talk further when he gets back, so I'll let you know how that goes.

I feel a lot more positive than when I left the physio's. I so don't want my family planning to be dictated by possible problems. Yes, I could well have a tricky pregnancy, but I really don't want to get a few years down the line when it's too late and be wishing that I hadn't been scared and I'd just followed my heart xx

Replies

• Hi Niblet,

I'm sorry to hear your physio wasn't as positive as you would have liked, but I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say if it's going to happen it will regardless. I had the same problem as you with my hips and pelvis and had to have crutches- it was way worse the second time- my two were 18 months apart. I know I run the risk of it happening again, my youngest is nearly two- but I know I won't be completely risk free- but there is no such thing really, it can happen to anyone!

I'm glad your hubby is coming round to the idea- I'm lucky as mine is just as broody as me, although we are both trying to be sensible at the moment.

I just wanted to say I completely know what you mean about following your heart- I am worried too as I didn't have good pregnancies...high blood pressure, spd and PND twice! I am trying to loose weight and get fit as I think that would help with a future pregnancy, but there are no garauntees obviously. The way I look at it is you are only ever going to regret the babies you don't have, not the ones you do...if that makes any sense at all!!

Good luck with you chat with hubby later,

xxxxxx
  • Fab news that your hubby is coming round, the things we do to get our men on side?!

As for the possible complications, noone knows your body better than you so if you feel that you can deal with it then go for it! Presumably you're doing all the right exercises to strengthen the affected areas - and have you looked into supplements or anything like that which might help?

Plus there's always the fact that it may take a little while to get your bfp anyway (though hopefully not!!) so no point holding back!! xx
  • Thanks Charlie, you've made me feel much more positive :\) You're so right, we'd never regret the babies we have - even if we have a tough time of pregnancy, it's only for a relatively short period and we'll come out the other side, and it will be so worth it!

Mrs Rodders, I've been continuing to see the osteopath I started going to when my hip went, and that's definitely been a big help. I was advised not to do any exercises for my tummy until I'd seen the physio in case I made it worse - wish I could've seen her sooner, but hey. She did actually say that the muscles had come together quite a bit, so that's something. I'm going to look into acupuncture, as I quite like the idea of it and my osteopath said it can really help to strengthen the body and even your hormones out.

I have had a chat with hubby, and he said he now quite likes the idea of having another baby, and would be happy to start UPSI-ing now and let nature take it's course!! On the flip side I'm now a little bit scared - I'm so hard to please! :lol: I'd like to be relaxed about it this time round and have some fun, rather than intensively trying. Watch this space! xx

• Wow Niblet- talk about a positive talk with hubby- looks like you might crack first after all!:lol::\)

I would like to start upsi'ing too...I think. I feel scared just like you as well though, it's a big step. I reckon my hubby wouldn't be too hard to talk round as he's super broody but we have financial reasons for holding off a little bit....grrrrrrrr I hate financial reasons!!! :lol: It's nothing major- but I guess we are just trying to make things as easy for ourselves as possible- especially when stuff has been quite difficult in the past with my previous pregnancies.

Good luck!!
  • Niblet, I'm glad you are feeling a bit more positive. You might not get any problems in your next pregnancy, you never know. Keep doing your excercises and make sure your body is getting plenty of nutrients to help it repair itself. If you are planning on just relaxing and going with the flow then I would just UPSI when and if I felt like it, no pressure. Good luck xx

CharlieChalk I hate financial reasons too!! LOL. *whispers* I'm scared about UPSI'ing too, its such a big step. One day I'm all for it, next day I'm not so sure. EEK, scary
  • Thanks Charlie and MSF, good luck to you both too when you go for it.

I think hubby's less scared than me now! I refuse to be held back by fear though - I'm either a little bit brave or very, very stupid! :lol: xx