Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Those of you who are mummies...

When did you start maternity leave last time around? Did you have to leave sooner that you had thought/would have liked?

Just thinking about work and when i could realistically leave - id like to be around until the end of May (though could probably get away with leaving mid May) but IF i ov when i think and IF i fall straight away, then id be somewhere between 36-38 weeks. Am i mad?! :roll:

xx

Replies

• I did a job where i had to stand all day so finished at 32 weeks as I couldn't do it anylonger. I gave birth at 38 weeks and was really sick for a week or so before then. Depending on how physically demanding ur job is I personnaly wouldn't reccomend working after 36 weeks as it's just a huge effort to do anythig n i didn't have much of a bump lol.
  • I finished at 38 weeks and that was just as well coz It was a whole 4 weeks before Lucas was born and I was slowly going mad in the house all day!!! The longer you work the better lol
  • when i was pregnant, i was a beauty therapy student and i worked part time in a shop. i finished working at 29 weeks due to loosened ligaments in my back and also i was getting exhausted doing college from 9 am finishing at 4 ang goi9n straight to work till 10!! so i was really busy and i had to lay off as it got so bad, i could hardly walk at night! i had physio and acupuncture on my back and was able to carry on my studies until i was 38 weeks, and i only stopped then because it was easter hols and i was due the day we came back! otherwise i would have gone up until id popped!! and that wasnt easy, as i ahd to get all my assessments done, whilst pregnant. i went back to college 11 days afetr id given birth but 4 weeks later was fully qualified. it is the best thing to work up until ur able to but if ur struggling, then dont push urself. xx

• This is a really hard one because it's kinda hard to plan...it was for me anyway. I planned to work up till about 35 weeks the first time round but had to leave at 26 weeks because of high bloodpressure and pre eclamptic symptoms- I was told I had to give up right away. That was before you can even have maternity leave so I had to take a few weeks sick leave. As you can imagine, that was a long time at home before ds was born at 38 weeks.

With dd I gave up at 34 weeks but I was only working part time. I think it all depends how your feeling, I have a friend who worked up until 37 eeks and she was fine. It is nice to have a bit of time before the baby is born to rest, but not so much that it eats into your time with the baby once it's born...

Sorry,I haven't helped much have I?!:lol:

xxxxxx
  • i left about six weeks befopre i was due cos i took my four weeks holiday and then two weeks maternity before hand. I did go slightly mad in the house but really appreciated it after, could just sleep, and watch crap tv etc.. decorated nursery and stuff. x
  • I left at 36 weeks. I have an office job so work itself wasn't too exhausting but it was getting up in the morning when you haven't been able to sleep properly all night - due to spd pains for me but I think everyone feels the same at that point. Just generally felt exhausted but probably could have carried on if I'd really needed to.

Friends of mine have gone to 38 weeks and managed it. Another possibility is going part time for those last few weeks just to give yourself a bit more rest but you're still around in your job?

xx
  • I left at 36 weeks. I have an office job so work itself wasn't too exhausting but it was getting up in the morning when you haven't been able to sleep properly all night - due to spd pains for me but I think everyone feels the same at that point. Just generally felt exhausted but probably could have carried on if I'd really needed to.

Friends of mine have gone to 38 weeks and managed it. Another possibility is going part time for those last few weeks just to give yourself a bit more rest but you're still around in your job?

xx
  • I think it also depends on how you get to work and how long it takes each way. travelling can really take it out of you in the later stages, especially I think if you travel in rush hour or on public transport
  • I work as a nurse on a unit with heavy lifting. At 6 months I had some spotting the nurse manager and I agreed I would work nights as the charge nurse so there would less running around and no lifting. I worked until 2 weeks before my due date and I was only 2 days overdue when I gave birth.
  • I never even thought about travelling? Have any of you had difficulty driving in the later stages of pregnancy? Although i could probably get round that one way or another.

I know everyone is different and i don't know how pregnancy will affect me but its good to see that some of you have made it that far!! xx

• The travelling was a problem for me with ds, and that was even with leaving at 26 weeks!!! But that was mainly because I was using public transport and it was quite a long walk from my office. I think if there isn't a lot of walking involved it would be better- although I'm sure some pg women love walking I used to find it really tough mid second trimester onwards. I always used to get cramp in my bump and it use to scare me!Mw did reckon it was my spd starting.

Do you use public transport Mrs Rodders?
  • I left at 29 weeks, i work as a healthcare assistant and it was alot of heavy lifting and i worked nights which was really exhausting as i always felt really ill the next day and found it really hard sleeping during the day.
    I'm going back to work tomorrow which i'm really dreading so i now wished id worked longer. Although it was nice having some time to relax and spend some more time with my ds before the new baby came along.
    I guess as the others have said it depends what sort of job you do and how your feeling.
    xx
  • hi hon,

No i dont think you're mad at all i was 39 weeks when i finished with no 2 & no 3 & they were both late no2 by only a few days but no3 was induced at 41+1 so 2 weeks of my leave was wasted really although i do think you need at least that week beforehand to relax a little & prepare yourself mentally for whats ahead!!

It really depends on your job too i think, i mean i work in an office so can sit down as much as i like & when that gets uncomfortable i can go filing etc. or just walk around, but if you're moving around & on your feet all day i think you'll feel the strain much quicker. Maybe your doc will sign you off for the last few weeks rather than you having to use your maternity leave, is that an option??

KJ.x

p.s. i never had probs driving drove up until the day i went in for induction with last one, just remember to put the belt under your bump its dangerous otherwise. Some do find it really uncomfortable & baby did have a habit of sticking a foot under my ribs when i was driving i remember that alright!!

[Modified by: katyjo on June 29, 2009 07:14 PM]

• I walked 10 mins up a hill every day up til I was 38 weeks! Infact I had a 5 min walk to station, 2 trains both lasting 20-25 mins each and a 10 min walk up a very steep hill, there and back everyday. Looking back I have no idea how I did it but I did (and I even had loose ligaments in my hips so it wasn't like I was in perfect health).
  • i was driving right up until my due date as my OH doesnt drive...went for my due date check up because of blood pressure. they decided they were admitting me to the main hospital, drove home and my radiator blew up!!! Good job i had a c section and couldnt drive after really! xxx
  • I was almost 38 weeks when I stopped, but still did the odd morning here and there unofficially (I'm a teacher).

At the time I thought it was fine, but in retrospect it was just a little late as even though I was fit and very well, I hadn't realised quite how achy (and slightly emotional) I'd become until I actually sat down and rested.

I hope to finish at about 36 weeks next time round.
  • I drive to work CC, it's about 10 miles each way. Good to know that i'm not being completely unrealistic - i know there are a lot of ifs and buts (isn't there always!) but we'll just see what happens!! xx
  • I've already decided that i'm finishing at 32 weeks...4 weeks holiday then mat leave starts at 36 weeks. I've got a nearly 70 mile round trip to work everyday in rush hour on the motorway so will be packing that trip in asap!! I wont be bored...i like doing nothing...esp before the baby arrives!! :lol: