Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

my dad & OH dad are twins, whats my odds of twins???

Hi girls,

Me and my hubby are currently ttc and both my dad and my oh dad are twins although both lost their brothers at a young age. I would love to have twins.....does anyone know what the odds are for me having twins are?

Replies

• wow..that is a lot of twins in one family. I would be happy with a single pregnancy but just the whole idea of labour kind of scares me so I thought it would be easier to get two out in one go....lol....unfortunately its not something I can choose, just dreaming...anyway got to get pregnant first. Thank mummy2grace
  • twins always runs down the female side,so if there is twins on the male side i would say its pretty slim,i think you have more of a chance of getting id twins rather than id (i may be wrong,doublebubble is a expert on this subject,so she will probably tell you better than me) i have a aunt who is a non id twin and anouther aunt had 2 sets of id boys and with all my cus' and my brother i was the lucky one who had non id twins

sarah
  • Fall3n-ang3l is right. Non identical twins run down the female side of the family so any male connections wont make a difference im afraid. Identical twins are random (hense the reason why im pregnant with them with NO family history!!) so the chance of them is still there. However, twins occur in 1 in 80 births and only 1/3 of these are identical so not incredibly likely.

HTH and good luck with the baby making!!

Gemma and Double Blue Bump 30 + 6
  • Thank you for your reply's I really appreciate it
  • midwives have always classed me as a high risk for twins, my great great grandmother was a non idnetical twin, her son and his wife (my great grandparents) also had non id twins, both of these were on my dads side, my maternal great grandmother had non id twins and my maternal grandmothers aunt on her dads side also had non id twins, theres also quite a few great aunts and uncles that have gone on to have twins ( I have an abnormally large family!) so far no one in my generation has had any, BUT my husband is a fouth generation identical twin, all through his paternal line, yet they say it doesn't run in families and identical twins are just a coincidence/luck thing - but four generations running through the male side is pushing it slightly i think! I've already had two singleton pregnancies, but apparently the chances increase with each subsequent pregnancy after the first!
  • My dad's side has twins and both me and my half sister have twin girls! I've been told it runs on the female's fathers side (which would hold up for my case!) but anyone could have identical twins - they are just luck.

xx
  • My dad is an id twin and my oh's dad is an nid triplet. I'm hoping by what you guys say of it running down the females side we'll either be missed or have twins not triplets. Dont think I could cope with 3 babies at once lol. x