Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ROUTINE?

My twins are 6 weeks tomorrow(born at 32 weeks) and we've been home from NeoNatal for a week and a half now.
Am I being totally unrealistic or is it possible to get them into a routine this early? They seem to sleep lots in the day and feed all night!
My husband's back at work so I tend to feed one twin, then the other, then go downstairs to express, then it all starts again. Any tips would be much appreciated.

thank you!

Replies

• Hi there! congratulations on your twins image its been a while since mine were this little, but we had a routine establised fairly early on. they were sleeping 12 hours at night from 8 weeks, But they were classed as full term and needed no special care so perhaps you need to allow more time for a routine to establish? Have you tried tandem feeding (the rugby ball position) that worked well with us, it allowed both to feed so therefore more time for othere things! hope all goes well xxx
  • It isnt too early to begin a routine.

My boys were in NICU for 10 days and came home on a rough 3hr feeding routine. At 8 weeks-ish (I think) we started a bedtime routine. This was a saviour for me as im home alone with them most of the time. I would start their routine when hubby got home at about 9.30pm. We would bathe them and dress them and they would have their last feed at 11pm (I must have started this quite early as I was still bf and only did this for 8 weeks). The last feed would be in our room, in the dark, and we would put them to bed swaddled. They would still feed 3hrly for a while but this increased. During the day I did let them feed when they wanted for a while later than this but we then started a morning routine and took the day in stages.

HTH and feel free to ask anything else. My boys are now 10 months and while some things are much much easier, others come along to challenge you (and I relish a challenge! lol)

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 10 months (on Friday!)
  • Oh, and at 10 months mine have only just started sleeping through and they were born at 36 weeks. Theyre all different!

Congrats on getting them home xxx
  • My girls were born at 32+3 and came home from SCBU at 37 weeks. I started a feeding and bedtime routine straight away. The feeding routine we couldn't always stick to (although I always offered milk at the same times - just did top-up feeds in between if they demanded), but we did always stick to the bedtime routine. The girls started sleeping through at 12 and 16 weeks and I think the routine really helped with this. It also helped us get our evenings back reasonably quickly which was a godsend in the early days x
  • My b/g twins were born at 37 weeks and spent no time in special care. We started a bedtime routine at 7 weeks and although for the first couple of weeks we were up and down the stairs settling them they soon got the hang of it.

My little girl slept through with a dream feed from 11 weeks, it did take ds longer, 19 weeks. I really think starting the bedtime routine early helped a lot. I also remember feeling pretty frazzled when they were around 6 weeks but it does get easier xx