Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Different size twins ??

Hello everyone, I am new to chat.
I am 8wk pregnant with non-identical twins, I am worried because they told me that twin 2 is very small and may not survive. I have researched Vanishing Twin Syndrome and understand what may happen. Has anybody else been through this or even had twins that sarted life at different sizes. Its my first pregnancy.

Replies

• Hi
    Sorry to hear you have had this news. I have ID twins who are different sizes - over a pound different in weight. One of my twins had a growth restriction so I had a c section at 32 weeks. Both girls are now nearly 2 weeks old, still in SCBU but doing brilliantly. They are not on any drugs/machines and have no illnesses. They just need to put on some weight and learn to feed. My birth story is a few posts down if you are interested. Hope your little twin hangs on like mine did.
    Lots of love and best wishes
  • Yes i have read your story and I just thought WOW
  • Glad the girls are doin fine, you all have had such a journey. Dont know if I am strong enough to go thru the same. Can you remember the size of your twins from your first scan ? My T1 is 12mm but T2 is 8mm. Both have heartbeats.
  • The size discrepancy of mine didn't really emerge until 16 weeks but from then onwards, one was growing on the 3rd centile and one on the 50th. There was a 35% size discordance between them throughout the rest of my pregnancy. I'm not sure they use centiles as early as 8 weeks so not sure what yours would be. I won't deny that we had a very worrying time while I was pregnant, quite a few tears and lots of discussions about life after their birth but it was all worth it. I'm definitely no expert but I would say that the fact you are carrying non ID twins is an advantage. They will have separate placentas so you won't have the risk of twin to twin syndrome that I had which can endanger the lives of both twins.
    Good luck and if you need to chat, feel free to message me xx
  • Yes thank you. I will take it easy and wait til my 12 week scan. I suppose what will be will be. Very frightin for my first pregnancy. All the best for when your girls go home x
  • Hi,

I dont want to get false hope up but as they are non-id there might not be a problem, providing they are natural conception (i mean not ivf where you can be sure when they were fertalised) you can ovulate over a two week period, so you can concieve on seperate occasions (did you see in the news about the lady who had twins by different fathers with a week difference between conception) so have everything crossed for two sticky beans

take care

xxDBxx
  • hi

how are your twins?

i just wanted to say i have non id twins - a boy and girl...

she was 6lb, and he was 7lb 4oz....

now 11 months later Ross is still significantly bigger than Darcy.
    In fact most people think i am a child minder with babies a couple of months apart now! (thats at the play groups i go to!)

good luck
  • Hi,

I should have written "different size embryo's" only just gettin used to the terminology ! ta for all your replies, especially those that have healthy twins born after a worrying pregnancy.

I am feeling much better since the worry of my first scan, after a little weep a few days after the scan I pulled myself together and have been positive since, hoping this energy will pass to my little beans.

I am 8+3 now and my first midwife appointment is Thurs mornin, hopin for a 10wk scan to check their progress. I have had no sickness and feel full of energy until 5pm ! me and my husband have PJ's on by 6pm and in bed watchin telly. Both trying to get 7 months of sleep in before the baby(s) arrive.

X X
  • aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

bless you!

i remember i was just the same for a whole week after i found out i was havin twins.
    i had a knot in my stomach - must have been nerves.
    and i kept on welling up when i thought of them!

good luck with the sleep...
    trust me you will need it!!!!!

• Hi, had my 10 week scan today and unfortunately my little pumkin (twin 2) had no FH but did grow to 8wk +6 and 2cm so it tried its little best. Twin 1 is doin fine at 9wk + 4 and 3cm, good heartbeat. I have to have weekly scans to check twin 1 progress. x
  • I am so sorry to hear your sad news at the loss of twin 2. I hope that you have a good pregnancy and a very health baby, sending you big hugs xxxxx

Luke 21 months
    Max and Milo 37 weeks 28 corrected.
  • iam so sorry to hear about your loss of twin 2,my thoughts are with you

sarah
  • so sorry to hear about that ....
    sending you lots of love to you and your baby
    xxx
  • So sorry to hear this news. All the best for the rest of your pregnancy xxx
  • I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your pumpkin, wishing you and twin 1 all the best.

take care

xxDBxx
  • Thanks to everyone for your msgs. I dont feel so alone when I log on here and read all your msgs and stories. Its amazing how your emotions change during pregnancy, I have never been one to worry but blimey I feel so paraniod and extremely protective of my baby. I am still sad for little pumkin but I trust mother nature had her reasons and I just pray every day that my remaining munchkin is going to grow into a healthy bouncing baby. I understand Vanishing Twin Syndrome is common and should not have any further complications because of VTS in the first trimester. At least they are monitoring me every week now. My munchkin (T2) looked like he waved at me when I had the scan so I cant wait for wednesday for my next scan, I will be 11 weeks. hugs to everyone x
  • Hi

keep us updated would love to hear about the growth of munchkin, my friend had VTS and had a healthy baby and then went on to have a set of twins.

Also its normal to feel sad about losing pumpkin, some people wont understand why you feel sad but its completley normal, and pumpkin will always be part of you.

xxDBxx
  • Not visited the site for a while, but reading back on my msgs brings it back to how paranoid and worried I was at the begining of my pregnancy. Once I had my 20wk scan I settled into enjoying what has turned out to be a fantastic pregnancy and little munchkin has grown well and never stops kicking and moving even now comin into 39wks !.
    Due New Years Eve and I am booked in for a home water birth so as much as I love the snow I hope it has cleared up when I go into labour!