Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Prams/Pushchairs/travel systems - confused!!

Hi all

This is my first post on here. We're 21weeks with ID twins and starting to look at buggies etc. but I'm so confused about what we'll actually need!
I've been to a couple of stores and asked advice but feel they're just trying to sell as many different permutations of the same thing as possible. I don't know anyone with twins so can't call on them. A few friends have had children close together and tell me that a front and back dual buggy will be fine. However I am a twin mytself so have some understanding of the bonding/separation issue and I'm 100% certain on having a side by side.
So my question is - which bits do I actually need?
There's the normal buggy option, then there are carrycots (and if you have these does it mean you won't need moses baskets at home or will I still need?), and then there are extra fixings you can buy to attach the car seats. However I've heard that it isn't good to have babies in car seats any longer than neccesary so would I use these or would I just use the carrycots to begin with and then remove when they're big enough to use the buggy normally? And at what size/age would this be?

Sorry for all the questions and the complete lack of knowledge, I really don't know what I'm doing and this is first pregnancy! Hopefully someone will know what I'm wittering on about....

J (21+5)
:\?

Replies

• Hi MrsP2, sorry i have no advice as i'm at the same stage in my pregnancy as you and am pretty clueless too. But just wanted to congratulate you and welcome you to the forum. I've had lots of helpful advice from the lovely ladies on here.
    xx
    (21 weeks today)
  • Hope this is of some help.

Basically, I bought the Nipper 360 Double. I love it. I had it from birth and I had huge reservations. I couldnt find a double that did everything I wanted it to do. I personally dont like the tandems, mainly because, with twins I felt they would always be at the same stage and it would be unfair to have one if front and one behind. Also, many tandems front seats are not suitable for newborns, unless theyre in the carseat/carrycot. However, I really wanted carrycots as I HATED the idea of newborn babies being in an 'umbrella' type buggy (which the Nipper fell into for me). BUT the side-by-side ones that have separate attachments were SO EXPENSIVE!

Hubby really liked the Nipper. As a compromise, the lady in Kiddicare suggested using Phil and Teds soft carrycots. They fit into the Nipper perfectly, and meant the boys were enclosed when they were small.

Hopefully this all makes sense and I havent rambled, but I remember the horror of trying to find a double buggy that suited our needs that we could afford!

Congratulations on having twins. Its hard work but worth it. My ID boys are now nearly 8 months and are really developing personalities.

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 7.5 months
  • I haven't looked into it much, like the idea of a maclaren as love my single one for my dd but the cheapest one is not suitable for newborns & the next one up apparently can be tricky to move around.

We have 1 cot from our first born & are planning to use that while they sleep side by side in our room and 2 smaller cots for when they go into their room as their room is fairly small. We're lucky that we have 1 moses basket & are being lent another but I found my dd prefered her bouncy chair - something I'd highly recommend.

Congratulations image

Lisa 18+3
  • Hello all

Thanks for your responses, this is really helpful.
    We've decided (I think!) to go for the easywalker duo. It's a lot of money but we're only planning on buying one pushchair so this is the one! Not going to go with the car seat adaptors, just having the carrycots and then they'll go into the buggy at around 6 months and the carrycots can go on ebay! Really interested in the bouncers, sound like they're very popular. Will have to look into these too.
    Good luck all over the next few weeks and getting organised. How are your nurseries looking, we've just started on ours. Are we leaving it a bit late - 22/23 weeks now?

Thanks
    Jx
  • My nursery has my dd sleeping in it as her room still, not much to do to it really, not going to worry about re-painting it. BUT the room dd will be moving into is jam-packed with stuff that thats to be sorted, stored elsewhere, ebayed, chucked in the loft etc before being decorated for her! So we have loads to do! I don't think your leaving it too late, I can't get my head round anything till I've had the next scan when i'm expecting to suddenly panic! lol
  • Hi i have got the baby jogger mini city double and i love it my twin girls are now 6 months old and i have used it from day one i even took it to tunisia with us it is that good i deafinly recommend it, when i was pregnant with my twins i looked at nearly every double pushchair going and wasnt sure about the baby jogger at first but as soonas i started using it i fell in love with it. i have spoken to other parents who have twins and by time their twins where 6 months old they had gone through loads of pushchairs i am just glad i am still able to use mine i have even pushed my 19 month old daughter in it to and she fits fine in it. hope this helps you
  • Hi I found nigel at twinstore really useful and the tamba buggy guidehelpful. I know a lot of people buying the icandy peach blossom atm tho
  • hi i have the icandy peach and think its awesome but was givin the nipper 360 double as a gift from work n think its absolutely perfect. the nipper 360 double is much lighter, the twins r side by side n r 4mons 2day n its still comfy n use it 4 long walks or wen we r gonna be out all day in the pushchair, also wen am droppin dd1 off at skool and dd2 off at nus but with the icandy peach i can use the carseats when we take the car.
    also wen am out wit hubby we turn the peach into a single buggy n use dd2's stokke for other twin n use a buggy board on the peach as dd2 is 20mons. lastly put dd2 in the nipper 360 double wen my mums wit us n hav got the other twin in a carrier/sling n its still light but cant imagin havin 2 toddlers in the peach wit the weight n pushin around
    sorry i'v not bin much help as am turn b2win both but i'll highly recomend either based on individual choice and needs