Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My birth story!!

My birth story... It started on the 20th of Jan at as I went into hospital at 8am for inducing.
I was 36+5.
I had a pessary by 09.30am and was 2cm dilated already, and then I was told I'd be checked 6 hrs later at 3.30pm. So with great anticipation we waited, then at 3.30pm I was examined and told not much had progressed except my cervix was much softer and shorter. I was told the next step was to break my waters, which they could of done, but by the time a midwife came back to me they said they wouldn't be doing so as it was the end of the working day (5pm) and then its a skeletal shift and as I was high risk I needed extra staff, so they would leave me until the morning, unless I went into labour on my own. I was really upset, but had no choice. Then approx 6pm... I felt my first contraction! Woo I was so excited! So after writing down the timings and monitoring the contractions (I was in a room on my own with my hubby), I went to the midwife approx 9pm with contractions that were only 3 or 4 mins apart, she then examined me to find me 4cm dilated and then moved me to the delivery suite! I then waited approx an hour hooked up to the monitor waiting for the anaesthetist for my epidural. The anaesthetist took 4 attempts and again another hour to get it in me, this was because I had to sit leaning over my belly to open my spine up for him, but because my belly was so big I couldn't lean over far enough. I was on the gas and air by now, and used it all the way through the hour it took to get the epidural in. On the fourth attempt my waters went (Evie's)! It felt like a massive waterfall, I can't believe how much there was, I was so shocked, it actually sent me into a bit of a panic! The epidural worked for an hour, with me not feeling a single contraction then I started to feel them again, but in my bum of all places! So the midwife examined me again and now I was 8cm dialled! The epidural was boosted twice more but it didn't work and I was feeling the contractions very strongly again! I think another hour went by (bit hazy now), and I was examined at 03.10am on 21st and I was 10cm!! The midwife said I was ready to push, however I did not feel that way! Finally she put my feet up in the stirrups and said its time to get these babies out (approx 04.10am), I started with the most tiny of pushes ever, it was so painful; I really thought I couldn't do it. My pain threshold is so low. Then the midwife turned off the epidural and took away the gas and air!! I could have killed her, even though they weren't actually doing anything for me, it was like my comfort blanket had gone! I then begged for help, and my doctor said she was willing to give me an epistomy and use a ventuose, but the sight of the needle for the anaesthetic gave me a real scare and spurred me on to try harder! Lots more pushing continued and a plea from me for a caesarean before Evie Grace was born at 05.11am on 21st weighing 5lb 6oz, she was placed on my chest immediately, then given to my husband after 5 minutes to hold before I remember I had to do it all again!! So a drip got attached to speed up my contractions as they had slowed right down again and I was told I needed to get Orla out in the next 40 mins, my tummy was scan via ultrasound to make sure Orla was still head down now, and luckily she was but she was high up still, so the doctor and midwife did some pushing and manoeuvred her lower down into my uterus and then the doctor broke Orla's waters, again it was like a tidal wave, flooding the delivery suite! I started pushing again to get Orla moving down but I had no energy at all! I found it very difficult and really wanted to give up. Midwifes were starting to get concerned after an hour, but not too much later I managed to deliver Orla at 06.32am weighing 5lb 9oz on 21st, she was also placed directly on my chest. I was jabbed in the leg with the injection to expel the placentas and with one tug they were out, both were commented on as being huge! Then I don't really remember much except I was aware I was left alone, I'd gone from having 8 people with me to none. I held both my babies and just sat for 30 mins. Both babies needed no assistance (born at 36+6) and were perfect! I had no assistance, so was not cut and did not tear at all, I escaped with just grazes!! I was so relieved!

Replies

• What a fantastic story. Well done you and what beautiful babies. If I have half as good a labour and my babies are half as gorgeous as yours I will be a very happy twin mummy! Congrats again xxx
  • Em I am so glad it went well and what a positive labour, its great to hear of twin mums that have such a good birth.

Hope your enjoying your girls

xxDBxx

Ps loved their outfits but made me a little jealous xx
  • wow what a positive birth story!!

two babies and no stitches-that's fantastic!!

well done hun, enjoy your little bundles x x
  • wow hun, sounds painful!! (I'm scared now!!) :lol: Congrats though, I bet you are so proud of them. I've seen the pics and they are beautiful! xx
  • Wow,well done to you. It's so lovely to hear that people DO have natural births. And poor you must have been exhausted! Can i just ask,did you/the girls have to stay in hosp for long? xx
  • congratultions hun,its amazing giving birth to twins and you did really well,also seen the pics and there gorgeous and lucky you that you have them home iam soooooo jealous!!!!!
    sarah
  • Well done Emma again for getting the natural birth you wanted - what a fabulous story (and no stitches!) x
  • Well done Em, your story is lovely bless ya, and you did well with no stitches as well, like me lol, had to get that in there he he. You now have two beautiful baby girls who you should be very proud of xx
  • Just to add (as per questions), they did not have to stay in hospital, we did the reccomended 1 night stay, could of been 2, but that was for me, not them, i was home 38hrs after the birth! its great to be home! x
  • well done em! U done great, bet ur glad u g????t the birth u wanted an great 4 u all 2b home so quick. How u coping nw ur home? R u exhausted?x x x ps girls r gorgeous an luv ur names x
  • that cool babe, so pleased all OK.
  • oh my god that's the best twin birth ever i think!
    can't believe you got home so quickly!!!!!!
  • We are coping really well, thanks, the girls are angels really! I am still recovering energy wise, but were fine, hubbys great! x
  • congrats really amazing birth story cant beliv u had no tears, totally jealous.
    enjoy ur babies n good luck.