Forum home Babies Twins & multiples

introducing myself with a couple of questions!

Hi,
Im 22 weeks pregnant with non id twins. I already have a 3 year old girl. Im feeling a little overwhelmed at the minute with not knowing what things to buy etc.

So my questions are,
1, Where did your twins sleep when they came home from the hospital? Do i need 2 moses baskets as well as 2 cots? Will they sleep in our room in the moses baskets or should i put them straight into the nursery? Should i separate them or put them together?

2. I have a silvercross pram which i used for my daughter, can I use this until they get a bit bigger so then i will buy a double buggy or should i just buy one now? What buggys can you recommend?

3 I have a vauxhall Meriva which is fine at the minute but im just worried that the 2 babies and my dd wont all fit at the back? Has this worked for anyone else?

4.How has everyone found feeding at night? I think I will bottle feed as i was just in so much pain with my 1st and could only manage it for 5 days. Do you make up bottles and they go downstairs and warm them up? Or should i stick to my crazy idea of putting a microwave and a mini fridge in the nursery!

Sorry for the many questions but will really appreciate some feedback. Im starting to go a bit crazy! I was so excited when i found out i was pregnant but when i found out it was two i feel a little out of my depth.

Thanks in advance for your help

Jenny 27 manchester xx

Replies

• firstly congratulations on your pregnancy with twins,i can fully understand how your feeling,when my twins were born at 31wks i had a 20 month old son,anyway your questions

1, Where did your twins sleep when they came home from the hospital? Do i need 2 moses baskets as well as 2 cots? Will they sleep in our room in the moses baskets or should i put them straight into the nursery? Should i separate them or put them together?

A-my twins slept next to me in there moses basket,they had one each,tbh its up to you if you want them to sleep together or not,after 5 months we put them in there room and they both had there own cots,as they get older you might find that if there together,if there moving they may wake the other one up and also they will play with each other but as mine got older they did reach to each other and play,when DS2 started to climb out of his cot then we moved him in to a toddler bed and moved him to his big brothers room and dd had her own room,they do also say that they need to be in the ame room as you for the first 6months as it helps reduce cot death but a lot off ppl put them stright in to there own room,again this is your own choice

2. I have a silvercross pram which i used for my daughter, can I use this until they get a bit bigger so then i will buy a double buggy or should i just buy one now? What buggys can you recommend?

A- we had a single pram but when i got further in y pregnancy with the twins we went and bought a double buggy,we went for a baby jogger city mini and i love it,its very eay to push and very light weight

3 I have a vauxhall Meriva which is fine at the minute but im just worried that the 2 babies and my dd wont all fit at the back? Has this worked for anyone else?

A-we have a Peugeot 307 and we can fit both prams in the boot,as for all 3 in the back,we couldnt do this as DS1 was still in a second stage seat so all 3 seats wouldnt fit,so if we had to go out as a family we would have to take both cars (which we hardly did) now DS1 is in a booster seat (hes 3 and a half now) all 3 seats fit in the back

4.How has everyone found feeding at night? I think I will bottle feed as i was just in so much pain with my 1st and could only manage it for 5 days. Do you make up bottles and they go downstairs and warm them up? Or should i stick to my crazy idea of putting a microwave and a mini fridge in the nursery!

A-feeding at night was a little easier for me as the twins were in SCBU for 5wks and the nursers got them in to a 4 hour routine of feeding,the 5wks they was there i expressed and took it up,when they came home i did try and continue but it was too much hard work so i put them on the bottle,when they used to wake up i used to go down stairs and make the bottles up as regards to the microwave and mini fridge thats up to you at the end of the day you need to make thing easier for you,so if thats going to help,then you do it

sarah
  • Awww thanks Sarah for the time and effort you out in answering my question. Its such a relief that you have managed particually with a much younger sibling to your twins. I will have to get the car seats and a smaller booster seat and hope my daughter will sit in the middle.

We were looking at the city mini in Lewis's. I also like the nipper 360. Do they fit through doors ok? Are you able to attach a buggy board onto it?

Im still unsure how i will sleep the twins but will get moses baskets as well as cots just in case.
    Did you have a c section?

xx
  • Hi Jencantdecide.

Im gatecrashing as i saw this on the front. I dont even have twins but my best friend does and this is what she does/done.

1. she had moses baskets down stairs but at night they slept side by side in one cot in her room until they were 13 weeks and she put them in nursery in own cots.

2. She has a silvercross (heritage style) twin pram but to be honest they are only in it if she is walking round the village with them as it wont fit in car. She has a silver cross double buggy (side by side) which fits in her little car no problem. It looks really nice too.

3. I don't think you are allowed to put a car seat or booster in the middle seat in back of car but i could be wrong. I would check that out.

4. She has the water in the bottles and the powder in little tubs, she mixes it when they wake and sits in in a jug of warm water to heat, she takes a flask up with her at night so she doesn't need to go down stairs. She didn't breast feed as baby girl wouldn't take it and baby boy was in neo natal for first week and they gave him formula.

She went to 38 weeks and had to be started off, was in labour for two days then got a section.

Hope that helps a bit. xxx
  • laura- i will have to check that out then,cos there all on the back seat,if not then one will have to go in the front and i will sit on the back in the middle.

ive only had a few problems fitting the pram throw doors and that was at the doctors,other than that everyone else has been ok.

no i didnt have a c-section,i went in to labour at 31wks and gave birth naturally,i did have lots of drugs though :lol: the doctors thought they were taking too long in deliverying them so in the end they ued forceps but the deliver from start to finish was 6 1/2 hours

any more questions feel free to ask image
  • Congratulations!

I am 19 weeks pregnant with twins and have a 2 year old daughter.

I can't answer the questions yet, but am reading with interest! xx
  • Hi jen

Congratulations on your twins, the other ladies seem to have answered perfectly but saw ur comment about 3 seats in the back.

Our DD1 was just 4 when the twins arrived so was in a booster with back (hope that makes sense?!)
    When they were 1st born we had and still do a honda CRV which is obvioulsy a big car but it was tight in the back as the twins seats where in bases too (maxi cosi), however it was a little better with out the bases.

We did have a focus also and this was tight in the back but still fitted as long as DD1 was in the outside seat (nearest door). we now have a picasso and they fit in perfectly as there are 3 individual seats.

I'm not sure what urs is like but as you can see we had a big/small car and neither where "perfect" for the seats but still fit!

XXXX
  • Hello and congratulations!

I'm 36 weeks pregnant with non-is twins so don't have any actual experience yet but will do very soon! And I have a 2 year old daughter.

So my questions are,
    1, I'm hoping to sleep them together in one cot during the night and 1 moses basket during the day. We found that our dd didn't like her moses basket so didn't see much point in buying a 2nd one unless we really need it.

2. I have got a double nipper 360 ready and waiting! Heard lots of good things about it and seems to be the best middle priced one out there. We found it for ??????255 on the boots website with an offer they had plus a discount code so definitely worth looking around.
    Be careful with fitting a buggy board to any pushchair, we were told that it usually breaks the warranty for your pushchair. I'm planning to keep a baby carrier with me so that my dd can go in the pushchair while I carry a baby if needed. My dd does love to walk though and has only recently been going in her pushchair because of the double bump! Oh and I've heard that lots of older siblings sit on the fron of the nipper at times.

3. We had to change our car and got a Vauxhall Zafira. There is no way we would have got the 2 baby seats plus our dd's 2nd stage seat in much else! I think we looked at the meriva and is wasn't as wide at the back.
    From reading other comments - you can put 3 car seats in the back as long as it has 3 proper (3 point?) seat belts. Depending on the car seat depends on how safe the seats will fit. Before buying our car we took it on a test drive to halfords with the seats fitted and they approved them all to be safe.

4.Feeding - I bf my dd for 15 months so really hoping it works pout again. But, that said I'm hoping after 4 weeks they will be happy to take expressed milk from a bottle so my dh can help out more!

I know exactly how you feel about being excited that your pregnant and then overwhelmed to be carrying 2 - some days I still don't think it has sunk in that we will be bringing 2 babies home from the hospital this time!!!

Good luck!

Lisa 36+3
  • congrats! i completely feel u. i have a 45mon old - dd1, a 24mon old on d 11th - dd2 and twin boys who r 8mon old on sat.

ur questions
    1. used an arms reach universal co sleeper until they were 5months and then moved them both into thier sisters cotbed which is in our room at the moment and sleep on both ends of the cotbed and planning to move them both into thier room n into thier individual cots at 10mons.
    as my dd1 only moved out of our bedroom at 15mons and dd2 moved out of our bedroom into her sis room at 12 mons so dis is really early for us but i guess they'll be too big to share by then.

2. well we bought an icady pear with our girls as i wanted the baby in a pram n dd1 in a reclinable seat as we were used to the bugaboo for first child n was worth it. then was given a phil and teds vibe at work jus before baby arrived n only started using d phil and teds wen dd2 was 7mon cos it was lighter n smaller but cant fault either of them but was ideal for us as we had a toddler and baby.
    but for the boys we bought the nipper 360 as we wanted side by side but dependin on were we r goin n if i'v got spare hands but when its jus me n the kids i use the nipper 360 n its perfect, easy to steer and light

3. we had to change my car to a honda frv as it is a 6 seater and sits the 3 carseats well at the back as they r 3 individual seats. 2 maxi cosi cabriofix at one end and in the middle and then a maxi cosi tobi at the other end and dd1 sits in front wit me in her maxi cosi rodi.
    so as long as there r 3 seatbelts at the back seat and the 3 car seats r fitted fine, it shouldn be a problem.

4. and finally i am still breastfeeding so will not be able to answer this one

goodluck! don rush to buy anything, go into the shops n try out stuff and also go to halfords, mothercare or john lewis and can help u fit all carseats at the back n let u no wots right and safe.
  • Hi Jenny,
    What a small world eh!! I'll try to answer some of your questions,
    1. On the first night at home i put both boys into a cot in my bedrtoom, top and tailing and it was a nightmare. I ended up going out the next day and buying moses baskets and it works like a dream, they are much more snug in there. I've got the cots in their bedroom ready for when they grow out of the baskets and thats when we'll put them in the nursery.
    2. I bought a side by side double buggy from Mama's and Papa's. it's not a pram as such but is suitable from birth. So many pushchairs out there are so expensive. We also have a single pushchair that we keep at the mum in laws and use that sometimes along with a sling, which works well..
    3. We already have a 7 seater car which was lucky, but with both boys in the middle section Cole can just about fit into the middle seat between them, i've got in there too but it's a bit uncomfortable. You might fit a booster seat but unlikely to fit a proper toddler car seat. If we put the back 2 seats up we lose the boot space, which you need with a double buggy!!
    4. I've bottle fed, we make them up around 4 at a time and then 3 each to get them through the night and leave them in the fridge. It works well for us and means we share the feeding!!

Hope that helps, although it's very similar to everyone else.

Take it easy, Jackie xx
  • Hey hun all answers here have been good and i never even thought of fitting the 3 car seats in the car....may need a bigger car or sit one of the twins in the front with me they will be 25-26month when baby comes! If we go out together we will just have to take 2 cars i think! In answer to your other questions i slept my 2 together in the same cot but it was not without difficulty was fine when they were younger but when they got over 6months they kept waking each other up and hitting each other in their sleep but they wouldnt settle separated....it took me until they were 18month to get them into separate cots but i had to drop a side down and push them together! Now i can have them in separate cots they are ok but trying to get them into toddler beds its a nightmare! I hade the Graco Duo never had any problema with it and i have checked about the buggy board think im going to have to put the new baby and one twin in duo buggy and the 2nd twin on the buggy board image Hopefully they wont eed thr buggy soon and i can get a nice single one =D I did it where the bottles were made and just had to be warmed up i learnt how to bottle feed them both at the same time that was a blessing just went downstairs and warmed up the bottles and that was that image Whatever will make your life easier hun good luck and congrats image x