Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can you choose to have a c-section?

Hi all,

My Obstetrician has said that its likely I will have my twins by c-section. However, I'm wondering if I can actually request one so that I know for definite I am having one?

i have convinced myself now that I am having a c-section and to be honest, would much prefer it.

has anyone been able to request a c-section for twins?

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    grrrrrr bloody site ate my reply... will try again

if they is no complications they may try you to have a natural birth,they were no complication with mine so gave birth naturaly

sarah
  • Options
    Are they identical?

You would be more likely to be accepted for a section request if they are as more complications can arrise (TAMBA actually recommend a section for id twins but it isnt compulsory and there are some born perfectly well naturally)

Im not sure you can be quite so choosy if they are non-id??
  • Options
    Just to say that I'd have loved to have had my girls naturally!

Due to them being ID and other complications I had to have a c-section but, if it'd been possible, I'd have really liked to "try" and have them naturally.

Since it's likely that we won't have any more children, I feel slightly robbed of the labour and birth experience.

Obviously, you should go with whay you feel more comfortable and everyone has their preference. Just wanted to share my thoughts

xx
  • Options
    T4BM - Me too!

I was pushing for natural until 28 weeks even though everyone was against it. But at 28 weeks Alfie turned breech and the Dr's almost did a little cheer that I wouldnt get my way!

I hope to have another one, and a natural birth, but we have been discussing maybe just having the boys. I dont feel too bad about not getting the natural birth, but that may change if we 'officially' decide not to have any more.
  • Options
    Mine are non identical but i have previous history of pulmonary embolisms so am obviously high risk, hence them saying its very likely I'll have a c-section.

i have so many friends who have started childbirth naturally, spent many hours in agony, to then have a c-section and I really don't want that. I'd rather just know and accept it.

thanks for all of your replies.

nx
  • Options
    I don't know to be honest - think it varies from each hospital. The hospital I had my girls in were very much natural deliverys unless absolutely necessary. My consultant always said we're going for natural if they are head down.

At first I thought i'd prefer a c-section for the same reasons you have stated! but in the end I decided to try natural as didn't fancy the pain afterwards, and i'm VERY glad I did have them naturally after seeing other people who'd had c-sections. I was back to normal after a couple of days where as my friend took a very long 8 weeks to recover. Oh and the hours of pain didn't actually feel like hours... in a strange way the time went fast cos I was concentrating so hard! lol (I was in labour for 8 hrs)

However every woman is different image and some women who've had sections have recovered quicker. Good luck whatever happens anyway! xx