Forum home Babies Twins & multiples
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Stupid Question Re ID Twins

Any mums with ID twins???? They believe that I am having Identical boys, one silly question is what if they are identical and we can't tell them apart? does this happen? any hints/tips for telling who is who or is it obvious to mum and dad which is which? Suggestions greatly welcomed.

30 weeks preg with ID boys mummy to Luke 13 months

Replies

• Hi I have id boys, and yes confusing them does happen. As soon as they are born they will be given a leg tag with twin 1 n twin 2 (order of birth) I kept these on after we returned from hospital because my 2 really are identical, some id twins ive know it has been easy to tell the difference coz there are still differences like moles/birth marks can be in different places.

Once you have had them home for a while you do get to know the differences, the personality does shine through and somehow you get to notice v subtle differences, such as one might have a little more hair. Often there is a weight difference so that makes it easier in the early days.

The hardest is photographs. If there is a picture with both in it then i can usually work out who is who, but if there is a pic of only one of them and its taken a few weeks/months ago I have found it really hard to tell. def recommend labeling all your photos (difficult to get the time but def worth it)

Ive rarely dressed them the same but in the early days they shared clothes but Now they are older they have their own clothes so providing ive dressed them then i can distinguish who is who really quickly. However dh has been dressing them recently and it sometimes throws me if they are in the wrong clothes.

One of my friends painted one of their sons nails so that she could tell the difference, I thought about it but never needed to xxDBxx
  • I have ID girls. To me they look quite different so i can tell them apart 99.9% of time but my husband is always getting them confused. Strangers always seem to know they are ID with comments of 'ooh theyre identical', 'ooh they look exactly the same'!. I think they look different to me because im with them all the time and look after them all day. Sometimes family get confused and will often say 'which one is this'! The thing that makes it easier is theres a 1lb and half between them at the moment too.
    Good luck!
  • my friend has twins and they are 13 weeks old now i think. and they still have their hospital tags on as she cannot tell them apart at all. there is 1lb difference between them but its still so hard. xx